"bending" parts?

guilty by design

Im currently trying to draw a layout for a simple angle iron part using the front, side, and angled view. Its a flat part made of sheetmetal and it will get 1 90* bend in it.

My first question is how do i bend a part in autocad LT 2011? Ive been using autocad for years but ive never had a request for an anged view.

My second question is how would i create a layout using all 3 views and include the info block in the bottom right displaying all the info?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• dascott

• guilty by design

• ReMark

Unfortunately you are using AutoCAD LT which means that unless you have a sudden urge to buy Inventor, and the money to do so, you're stuck. In full AutoCAD you could make use of add-on software (utilizing Lisp) that would assist you with making proper bends.

Re: three different views.

The three views are in model space. To see each you could create a single viewport in your paper space layout or, for more flexibility, create three viewports (one for each view). Viewports are assigned scales. Your title block and border belong however in paper space and not in model space and should be drawn at a scale of 1:1. If you want to use text that is 3/32nds or 1/8th inch high that's what you use. AutoCAD will print your layout with title block and border and scale each viewport accordingly. BTW...put your viewports on their own layer (set to "no print) and make sure their display is locked so the scale cannot be changed by mistake.

Note: If you are a student you can download Inventor for free from the AutoDesk Educational website. JDM can provide you with further details regarding this if applicable.

When you say "layout" do yo umean the flat sheet metal layout?

If so make your 3 views of the finshed/formed part and calculate the flat sized based on the bend allowences for what ever dies/tooling you will be using. After you got that you can draw your flat layout based on the sizes that you came up with.

I downloaded a trial version of inventor and im learning some of the commands and whatnot are a lil different. But where im hung up now is the bend command. It says to sketch a line on the face i want to bend and make sure it terminates at the end of the faces (i have that). I click fold and select the bend line i want, but no matter what i do it says it cant make the bend. Ive watched the video on autocads wiki help page and followed it exactly, but it still wont allow me to put a simple bend in the sheet.

That is not how to bend sheet metal.

Use the sheet metal tools to model in finished form and then have the program unfold it for you. The finished form is the source of truth.

Attach a sketch of what you are trying to do.

Sounds to me like people going over the top, just draw the shape with the bend allowance as an L, I am pretty sure LT supports "thickness" so just set this variable to the desired width and view from a 3d point in one of your layouts try vpoint 1,1,1 all done. Also check other vpoints R=1,0,0 L=-1,0,0 F=0,-1,0 B=0,1,0 P=0,0,0

Make sure you tick hide when plotting so it will become a solid

"I suspect we are all making this a much bigger job than it really is."

I believe that's referred to as "scope creep". It's what we do.

Heres the drawing im trying to replicate

003.JPG

And heres where im at with the drawing

004.JPG

The blue line is the line the program tells me to draw indicating where i want the bend.

JD what your saying is i need to draw the part as it will be formed and then flatten it to get my 2D image?

Here are a couple of solutions.

Notice the differences in the chamfered bend corners - AutoCAD users (particularly 2D) miss these subtle differences in sheet metal.

I couldn't read your dimensions - so I just made some up.

Edit Sketch1 to see that it is simply two lines, then use Countoured Flange to create the part.

Miters.jpg

Solution 1.zip

Solution 2.zip

Eureka!

I think my problem was in extruding the part instead of using the face feature in the sheetmetal toolbar. I can bend the part now.

005.JPG

One thing i did notice tho is i didnt see a way to indicate how thick i want the part in the face setting.

• 1 month later...

good morning. i have just read though this thread and i am struggling to do something similar with one key difference. we are currently building a (narrow) backhoe bucket. the bottom is made from a piece of 48 x 7 x 3/4" steel with an oval cut out of it for a hook to hang through. the piece then gets bent (we call it rolled, or broke) to create a curve to match the sides. my problem is that the cut-out oval is in the curve, and i cant figure out how to do this. i am very new to 2011, upgrading from 07LT, and this website has been crucial to me learning to do what i have. thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by dascott

here is what i have. at one point i had the plate (without the oval) bent to match the curve of the side (there in white), but deleted it to start over. after that is when i turned to CADTutor.

3D Assembly.dwg