PDF Underlay

J3DM

Hello all-

I am not new to AutoCAD by far and many years, but i am new to the 64 bit features and windows 7. So i tried out the PDF underlay attach, and really like it. However i now have an image frame that i can select and the appropriate ribbon activates. I start with a perfectly visible clipped PDF image, then activate any command, as easy as "line", and teh graphic diappears. Still have the frame, no image. I have tried to regen, redraw, on and on. No graphic. If i set it up in a pspace vport, no graphic, but it will plot the graphic in a preview. I am using a dedicated 1GB card and 8GB memory, so i dont think it is system stability.

If i remove the clipping plane, it will reappear, but only long enough to start another command. Once i start a command, gone again, clipping plane or not.

Anyone Else??? Any Ideas??

Its an OptiPlex series Dell, not my first choice but, hey, whatever the boss pays for. It is equipped with a core I5 @3.2Ghz, Nvidia GT330 1 GB dedicated driving dual 21 ws displays, and 8GB's of 3400 series chipsets. And of course, the western digital caviar 320GB I am already backing up daily.

So what bells and whistles do you think creates a higher display priority? My first thoughts are along the same lines as yours, that the graphis memory cant handle it, but im pretty sure that ACAD only uses one thread of memory for dedicated graphics, so the system should handle it.

Very confusing, this PDF thing.....

Try underlaying some different objects. I notice you have Mechanical 2012, have you checked the Autodesk site to see if this is a reported bug in 2012? Have you tried turning off any virus scanners?

Like I said, after turning off all the extras in Windows 7 many display problems and in general, speed in AutoCAD have greatly improved. Just search the web for "speed up Windows 7" and there are several sites stepping through the process.

Have you tried adjusting your settings, 3DCONFIG at the command line.

I'm new to the forum but not to acad - there is a command called draworder - type that in select the pdf bounding box and hit b for back - that puts the pdf behind your acad lines.

hope this helps...

Thanks for all the help here-

basically what i have been able to break this down to is:

attached PDF and created a clipping boundary to get rid of whatever i did not need. i then had an enlarged detail of an area from a seperate sheet. i cropped the otehr sheet sheet and removed some elements using photoshop elements. That was saved back to a pdf to get rid of rasterization. I then created teh overlay of that detail area on top of the original pdf attachment. what i think happened is the clipping boundary now cannot distinguish between the two attachements. when i remove the clipping boundary, and reset the draw order to put both items under objects, the graphics just go bananas. My remedy after playing for far too long was to create a viewport with the original, then a saved view of the overlay in a seperate layer. Once teh viewport was locked and saved the view, i then could turn the underlay layer on or off to crate my drawing. I then was able to scale my viewport and everything showed up, even annotation dimensioning... what a bunch of work, but i got what we needed last night- hoping for an easier way next time. Perhaps the photoshop left some vector raster imaging in the file that really garbled things up. The best help....Architects please send cad files!:lol: