Layer Properties Manager problems.

GVR

Hello

When i open some drawings i have a problem with the Layer Properties Manager.

I see the window of the Layer Properties manager but the inside is transparent. I can see the drawing through it.

I have to close the window and open it again to see all the layers.

A other problem is that the LPM displays not the same information as the "Layers"-Toolbar. New layers are visible in the toolbar and not in the LPM.

Or when layers are turnd on or off the information about that is not the same in the "Layers"-Toolbar and the LPM.

Or when layers according to the LPM are frosen in the viewport they are still visible. I have the "un-freeze" en "re-freeze" them to set the layer on frozen.

Regen all or recover dosn't work.

I'm using AutoCAD 2009 LT SP3 (the latest update).

Someone told me a while ago that it might be a microsoft .NET problem so i installed the latest .NET version and re-installed Autocad but unfortunately the problem still remains.

I hope someone has a solution because it starts to drive me crazy.

Already Thanks.

This happens occasionally, seemingly at random to me. A restart of the computer (and not just AutoCad) fixes it I have found.

Thanks Dink87522.

For this moment a restart fixed the problem. But tomorrow i will probably have this problem again.

My experience is that it happens very often. And not in all drawings, so it is in my opinion also a drawing problem and not a problem that happens with all drawings.

I hope someone has a more permanent solution.

No. Not because I didn't try. Rather, my power supply went south (along with a couple of other problems) and I used it as an opportunity to upgrade my system. I've worked on the same drawing using both AutoCAD 2010 and 2012 and have not been able to reproduce the problem so far.

What are your system specs?

Are you using Windows 7? AutoCAD 2011 has had a lot of strange quirks since I upgraded to Windows 7 (the CPU was upgraded at the same time), turning off all the extras in Windows 7 has helped. I had that problem in XP also, but I also had a crappy graphics card before the upgrade.

Note: My previous system, the one with the intermittent problem, had a 768MB nVidia gaming card in it. I suspect that was the culprit.

I work on windows XP.

PC: intel Cor 2 Duo, 2,2Ghz. 1Gb. Video: 128mb ATI Radeon X1300.

1Gb is a little to small i think. The swap-file is always something like 1,2Gb.

I work on windows XP.

Video: 128mb ATI Radeon X1300 ....that's my guess.

P.S.

Set your Swap file to 2-3 times your RAM is pretty much the recommended amount, though if you are not using all the RAM to begin with the swap file is a mute point. Try to monitor the RAM usage when this happens to see if all your RAM is being used.

I'm gona ask my "boss" for a better video-card.

My swap file has a minimum of 1488MB and a max of 2976MB, that's alright then.

I hope that the hardware is really the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: My college has a Matrox G450 video-card. That card has only 32MB memory.... So is my ATI card not good?

Edited by GVR

I work on windows XP.

You should have at least 2MB of physical RAM.

Your swap file is probably being managed by Windows (the default) and normally would be 1.5-2X the amount of physical RAM installed. You can elect to manage this yourself. If you do then increase the swap file size to 2.5-3X the physical RAM and set both the upper and lower values to the same number forcing Windows to set aside a contiguous portion of your hard drive for the exclusive use of the swap file.

Your graphics card is marginal at best so consider an upgrade. Both ATI (now owned by AMD) and nVidia make good graphics cards for use with AutoCAD.

More RAM is usually better, but I do not think that would be his primary problem. He seems to be above the minimum for 2009LT.

AutoCAD LT 2009 System Requirements
For 32-bit System Requirements

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or AMD Athlon, 2.2 GHz or greater
Intel or AMD Dual Core processor, 1.6 GHz or greater
Microsoft® Windows Vista™, Windows® XP SP2 operating systems
[b]512 MB RAM Microsoft Windows XP[/b]
1 GB RAM Microsoft Windows Vista
550 MB free disk space for installation
1024x768 VGA with True Color
Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 6.0 internet browser (SP1 or higher)
CD-ROM or DVD drive

And although he is double the recommended minimum for WinXP the combo of running both programs plus whatever else might be running in the background could be still be a factor. In my opinion, of course.

CLASSICLAYER starts the same screen as i always have, so i don't know if it's a solution for my problem. I'll try if i have the problem again.

And LAYERDLGMODE is not a recognized command. Probably only for autocad full. I'm using LT.

Bud thanks for your answer.