How do I open a .cad file type?

ammobake

I have a file I'm trying to open that has a ".cad" file extension.

I've been doing this for 7 years and I have never heard of a .cad file.

Any help on how to open the file or convert it to a format Autocad 2010 will recognize would be awesome. Thank you!

-ChriS

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ammobake

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• f700es

I'm assuming it was made by another CAD program (microstation perhaps?).

In the file properties under "file type" it sais "CAD file".

Autocad doesn't recognize it in this format.

-ChriS

From what I've been able to tell, the ".cad" file extension is a "Quickcad CAD Drawing" which is technically an Autodesk product.

You would think if QuickCAD could open it, full blown Autocad would be able to as well. Unfortunately, it's never really that simple.

I've tried inserting it as a block, inserting it as an OLE object, everything I can think of. I've also tried inserting it as an XREF into modelspace but the XREF manager doesn't even recognize the file type.

-ChriS

I've never used Microstation but if I remember correctly it generates a .dgn file extension.

There are dozens of little cad companies out there now. It will turn up evenutally.

I'm really amazed by this whole situation (not trying to be cynical about it either).

Autodesk uses a file format in quickcad that isn't recognized in full blown Autocad?

Yesterday, I realized Quickcad can still save the file as a DWG so I was at least able to request the file in DWG format from the contractor. But that's really beside point.

If your company has multiple seats of Autocad and you're spending that much money on software, One guy with quickcad shouldn't be able to stop you in your tracks.

I'll be surprised if I get the new file this week. In the meantime, the time being wasted is caused by the fact that Autodesk uses a file format that is incompatible with their own premier CAD workhorse. What in the world?

-Chris

I'm really amazed by this whole situation (not trying to be cynical about it either).

Autodesk uses a file format in quickcad that isn't recognized in full blown Autocad?

Yesterday, I realized Quickcad can still save the file as a DWG so I was at least able to request the file in DWG format from the contractor. But that's really beside point.

If your company has multiple seats of Autocad and you're spending that much money on software, One guy with quickcad shouldn't be able to stop you in your tracks.

I'll be surprised if I get the new file this week. In the meantime, the time being wasted is caused by the fact that Autodesk uses a file format that is incompatible with their own premier CAD workhorse. What in the world?

-Chris

What is so amazing? I fail to see how this could be the fault of Autodesk. Quickcad can save as DWG then the drafter using Quickcad should use .dwg for the file extension, if sending out files. Why would he send a .cad? Is there an agreement as to the type of files to be provided?

Is this an older drawing? Autodesk bought out Softdesk which had Drafix Cad that used .cad file extension. There are still some other software using .cad file extensions.

I'll be surprised if I get the new file this week. In the meantime, the time being wasted is caused by the fact that Autodesk uses a file format that is incompatible with their own premier CAD workhorse.

The time being wasted is not the fault of Autodesk. The time being wasted is the fault of the guy using Quickcad who did not provide you with a CAD file that you could open and use. And it's certainly not Autodesk's fault that the guy will take a week to save the file to dwg format and send it to you. He should have done that in the first place.

As SLW210 stated, Quickcad is/was a cheap little CAD program that was created and designed by another company who Autodesk bought out years ago. so technically it's not really an Autodesk product. But as you found out, it CAN save to dwg format, so I don't see what the problem is?

As to why someone would provide me with a .cad... That's a great question! It's not exactly like ".cad" is the industry standard. Perhaps their drafter should come to CAD Tutor as frequently as I! It would at least be a step in the right direction.:P

The "latest" version of QuickCAD is at least 7 or 8 years old and I believe Autocad stopped supporting the product in 2004.

However, for some reason it is still being used in the construction industry.

What is amazing is the fact that antiquated software, developed by Autodesk, can use a file format that is not supported by the most current software, also developed by Autodesk.

I'm not asking that .CAD be on par with DWG.. I'm just saying if you're gonna use a file format in a CAD platform, at least develop future software to be able to recognize it. Or at least provide the capability to insert it into model space for crying out loud!:o

-Chris

The time being wasted is not the fault of Autodesk. The time being wasted is the fault of the guy using Quickcad who did not provide you with a CAD file that you could open and use. And it's certainly not Autodesk's fault that the guy will take a week to save the file to dwg format and send it to you. He should have done that in the first place.

As SLW210 stated, Quickcad is/was a cheap little CAD program that was created and designed by another company who Autodesk bought out years ago. so technically it's not really an Autodesk product. But as you found out, it CAN save to dwg format, so I don't see what the problem is?

No argument with you there. Unfortunately, it's not like I can call the guy, reprimand him and refer him to a beginners tutorial on CAD Tutor. That wouldn't be very professional!

I simply sent the guy an email saying I needed the DWG and to do it ASAP.

It would appear Autodesk abandoned the ".CAD" file format many years ago but the format still gets circulated in the industry I work in.

You would think AutoCAD would, at the very least, be able to insert or XREF that kind of file. Maybe provide you with the capability to save it to a DWG yourself, without having to send it back to someone and have them convert it for you.

The irony is the fact that QuickCAD was/is an Autodesk product.

-ChriS

You're dwelling on something that can't/won't be changed which in my opinion is not going to get you anywhere close to a solution to your problem.

Bottom line is AutoDesk bought the company to kill it off. You're paying the price for their competitiveness.

Scan the drawing or digitize it.

No argument with you there. Unfortunately, it's not like I can call the guy, reprimand him and refer him to a beginners tutorial on CAD Tutor. That wouldn't be very professional! -ChriS

Why not? What is unprofessional is the guy sending out a .cad file. That would tell me he is incompetent.

We need to remember that the .dwg is not officially the standard format, even if it is the most common.

What is amazing is the fact that antiquated software, developed by Autodesk, can use a file format that is not supported by the most current software, also developed by Autodesk.

I'm not asking that .CAD be on par with DWG.. I'm just saying if you're gonna use a file format in a CAD platform, at least develop future software to be able to recognize it. Or at least provide the capability to insert it into model space for crying out loud!:o

The problem is not that Autocad can't import the .cad file. The problem is that the user of Quickcad did not export out a .dwg file for you. That's really all there is to it. It's up to the user of the other software to export his file to .dwg before sending it to you.

If you hire a contractor to produce CAD drawings for you, it should be spelled out in the contract that drawings are to be received in .dwg format only. Any other file format is unacceptable and will be returned to the contractor, and there will be no payment until .dwg files are received.

This is 100% the fault of the contractor and 0% the fault of Autodesk.

As you said, this is an antiquated piece of software, so why should Autodesk continue to offer support for this dead program? Especially since the program CAN export .dwg's for use in Autocad.

As I see it as well. Sorry but there is a (unofficial) standard CAD file and it is .dwg. Went through this the other week. Guy sent a vectorworks file to us :roll:

Why not? What is unprofessional is the guy sending out a .cad file. That would tell me he is incompetent.

The problem is not that Autocad can't import the .cad file. The problem is that the user of Quickcad did not export out a .dwg file for you. That's really all there is to it. It's up to the user of the other software to export his file to .dwg before sending it to you.

It could happen too if he uses Revit. He sent it RVT file to you, and you can't open it because you don't have Revit. I must agree that it was the user's problem. :)

Especially .cad is not common and created by a program that's no longer exist...