Classic view in 2012

Bogbadbob658

Does anyone know if you can get classic view in 2012. I thought on previous versions it was under workspace switching.

I hate the ribbon with a passion. For me, it's so unintuitive.

Make a copy of your short cut on the Desktop, right click it and open Properties. In the Target box replace the profile with /p "AutoCAD" and it will open AutoCAD in Drawing and Annotation mode, from there there is an AutoCAD option in workspace switching.

I'm using Civil 3D and from that workspace there was no direct option AutoCAD Classic.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am trying to do the same thing, that is change the workspace layout of AutoCAD Architecture 2012 back to the original layout. The process that is explained above basically converts Architecture 2012 to AutoCAD 2012, which means it loses some of the features of Architecture 2012, like the detail component manager. Is there any way to change the workspace layout in Architecture 2012 without losing any of the components?

Civil 3d is like the above, in that there is no default classic workspace which also retains the civil 3d functionality. As a result I have finally learnt to use the ribbon :)

Vanilla AutoCad 2012 does however have a classic workspace defined.

Well thanks for the help, but changing to the ribbon was a big backstep for AutoCAD. Trying to make it to much like REVIT. REVIT is still very inefficient the the drafting capabilities of AutoCAD and by slowing down the process it causes the company to continue to waste money on crap software.

It looks like the ribbon is here to stay. Better get used to it. I thought it was very cumbersome at first but after using it for a while it's a lot like using the old toolbars.

• 1 month later...

I too use to hate the ribbon.

But I found it to actually be a logical ordering/grouping of toolbars. Like the tools that are used in the various ways to view your drawing are found in the "View" ribbon... Where as some toolbars had so much random stuff on them, that it was difficult to find them because you had to know/remember what toolbar had that one tool (that is, if you cant remember the command or alias)...

there are actually more tools available on the ribbon then there are with toolbars. A couple of which are not even available if you switch to the "Classic" setup.

Check this post for more.

~Greg

I am trying to do the same thing, that is change the workspace layout of AutoCAD Architecture 2012 back to the original layout. The process that is explained above basically converts Architecture 2012 to AutoCAD 2012, which means it loses some of the features of Architecture 2012, like the detail component manager. Is there any way to change the workspace layout in Architecture 2012 without losing any of the components?

When you start Architecture under the AutoCAD profile you do not lose any functionality and when from the AutoCAD profile you switch to the Classic Workspace all the functionality is still there, you just can't see it. Try issuing an Architecture command from the command line and see what happens. gkeplinger if you really want to stay in the classic mode (which I think is a backward and defeatist step) then create some new tool-bars in the CUI, with buttons for the functionality that you want. I, along with every other single person in the world who now uses the Ribbon, had to learn how to use these new unfamiliar controls, so if so many people have mastered it, why not you? Or perhaps you will take a really backward step and go back to the drawing-board :lol:

It looks like the ribbon is here to stay. Better get used to it. I thought it was very cumbersome at first but after using it for a while it's a lot like using the old toolbars.

I can remember way back when Autodesk had a DOS and Windows version of AutoCAD R12, many people said the Windows version would never take on and was much slower than using the command line and ....

A lot of the arguments were the same or in the same vein as now for not using the ribbon. But, personally, I don't know anybody who would want to work from just the command line and not use any buttons at all (although I think that there is someone here in the forum that still uses the R12 DOS version), so gkeplinger bite the bullet and get used to the Ribbon, its here to stay. RobDraw is right.

.... causes the company to continue to waste money on crap software.

What compelling reason was used by the company to "continue to waste money" by purchasing 2012?

Perhaps you should take your cost/benefit analysis to the CFO and so that this mistake does not continue.

Ribbons get in the way of CAD efficiency in my opinion, the ability to use a conglomeration of commands, toolbars and ribbons is what's needed, until then ribbons hinder time efficiency.

• 6 months later...

Why in the world would adesk make a classic option for acad and not for acad architecture?? FAIL Regardless of whether I like the ribbon or not I should have the option ACROSS THE BOARD of being able to use both w/out tinkering with the inner works. FAIL

My advice is to learn the ribbon. I don't like it and don't use it but I am glad I learned if for this one reason. In today's economy you can find yourself out of work in no time and looking for a job. In almost all the places I applied for CAD job they insisted on me taking an assesment test prior to going further. And those darn assesment tests make the assumption that everyone loves and uses the ribbon. You will find yourself needing to know the ribbon if for this only reason. And I agree with most that one day, maybe 5-10 years hence, the ribbon or some form of it will be the preferred method to interface with software.

Why in the world would adesk make a classic option for acad and not for acad architecture?? FAIL Regardless of whether I like the ribbon or not I should have the option ACROSS THE BOARD of being able to use both w/out tinkering with the inner works. FAIL
I think the bigger fail is the fact people still use AutoCAD Architecture when Revit Architecture is lightyears beyond in capabilities, not to mention becoming the standard in the A/E market at a phenomenal rate.

I think the bigger fail is the fact people still use AutoCAD Architecture when Revit Architecture is lightyears beyond in capabilities, not to mention becoming the standard in the A/E market at a phenomenal rate.

@ stykface U hit the nail on the head. I couldn't agree with you more! At this point in time I have no choice (well, i guess we all have the choice) but to use ACA 2012 w/my boss. The inconsistency of drawings that are modified repeatedly between 4 or 5 ppl drives me LOCO. I've used Revit a couple times for CDs and using tutorials, etc and it's like using a lighter instead of rubbing two sticks together to make a fire.