Dealing with 8020

IanCharles

I'll apologize up front, I'm very new to Solidworks. That being said, please bear with me if I say something stupid.

In any case, I'm constructing an assembly involving 8020 parts. I've been to 3dcontentcentral to get the parts for my library, but there's a pretty frustrating problem when I actually start to work with them:

There are so many extruded edges on 8020 parts that if I even just roll my mouse over the Extrude/Boss entry in the design tree, the program takes 30 seconds just highlighting all of them. I can't even edit the Extrude/Boss to change the length of the part, it takes so freaking long.

Now, I know that 3dcontentcentral is a pretty popular website for these sort of files, so it can't be their fault. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe a view setting that won't highlight everything, or an easier way to edit lengths?

• 5 weeks later...

Try setting it to non shaded edges that works for me i have been doing an entire building and it gets annoying when someone goes in my model and puts shaded with lines also turn down image quality in options(top of program in case you didn't know)

hopes this helps

8020 links right to content central so their files should be good. More than likely its a graphics card issue. What are the specs of your computer?

Can you attach the file here - I would like to see how it was constructed. (I will be looking for feature pattern rather than sketch pattern - which keeps sketch relations to a minimum)

Ian, i thought of another thing you can check on. When you have one of the parts open you can go to Tools>Feature Statistics . This will show you rebuild times for all of your sketches and features. It may be that one feature is having an issue on one part thats really dragging the system down.