AutoCAD2004 printer issue in windows 7

DANIEL

I have some co-workers experiencing an issue that niether me nor our IT guys can figure out, when using AutoCAD 2004 on a machine with windows 7 AutoCAD will not find any of the installed printers, other than what has been set as a default. Does anyone here know of a fix for this issue?

I had a similar experience yesterday with AutoCAD telling me I did not have a printer installed. I remedied it by going to the Printers and Devices screen, right-clicking on my printer and setting it as the default printer. That solved the problem for the moment.

yes, that has been our work around as well, I'll need a real solution eventually though, as corporate will not upgrade everyone in the company, cheap ... okay, I digress :P I personally have exhausted everything I know to check and of coarse there are no service packs for this ......

I hear you. The weird part about my problem is that it cropped up during the printing of the 17th drawing file of 19 that I had to do. Can't understand why AutoCAD would suddenly forget that I had just used the printer sixteen times previously.

Sorry. I do not have a permanent fix for you at the moment. I am out of the office and will not be plotting again until Monday at the earliest. If I think of something I'll be sure to share it with you.

An engineer here has had this problem when printing or plotting from EXCEL 2007 as well as AutoCAD 2005. I am thinking this is a Windows 7 problem. I told him to get IT to handle it.

Unfortunately our IT guys refuse to believe its a windows problem ... armed with that info SLW210, I will make them re-evaluate that statement. I too will be sure to post back here anything I can find out Remark.

Unfortunately our IT guys refuse to believe its a windows problem ... armed with that info SLW210, I will make them re-evaluate that statement. I too will be sure to post back here anything I can find out Remark.

If you could validate that the similar is happening in other Windows programs it should convince them, the main problem is that IT has not found the solution. He was cursing his computer, Excel and Windows 7 this morning. The thing is, one would think he doesn't know how to use, or dislikes Windows 7, but he has had Windows 7 at his home since it came out.

Another avenue could be your network, I do know the first time he had this problem we tried to print from my computer from Excel and AutoCAD and I was not showing any network printers at all, I restarted Excel and AutoCAD and they were there and I have not seen the problem since. since he had put in a service request to IT they might have been rebooting our network.

I'll have to look into the network thing as we do everything off a network, even our phone system is routed through it.

I was told via Redmond that you two are fighting the wrong guys. Due to new system, if your printer is not on their list, you then cannot go any further. It don't matter if you still have the original disk or using System Commander, it will work one time only. Mostly due to you on the now obsolete 32 bit system, and not on their new 64 system.

Nor will the new system look at a Paper space drawing correctly too.

Wm.

I was told via Redmond that you two are fighting the wrong guys. Due to new system, if your printer is not on their list, you then cannot go any further. It don't matter if you still have the original disk or using System Commander, it will work one time only. Mostly due to you on the now obsolete 32 bit system, and not on their new 64 system.

Nor will the new system look at a Paper space drawing correctly too.

Wm.

Who is fighting? 32-bit still works on 64-bit.

Even if what you say were true (and it isn't, if so cite your source), it is like I said an IT problem.

with that being said, it could be the drivers, of coarse i'm not sure how to test such a theory with out first finding updated drivers .....

I got told this numerous time now, but if you have a 32 bit system (and driver) you then can (with effort) go to a 64 bit system. If you did not punch the speedy button at initial set up time for the heard drive, and thus go to a 64 system, but stayed with the 32 bit system your original Acad system ought to work in the new Windows 7. I think there are a lot of systems analysist's working on how to now.

You may already be screwed if certain software loaded up from the internet checks (and alters) your 32 system in to a 64 system. Only takes a correct download via the computer and you then need to start over again. Used to be a problem with going from Windows XP to Windows 7 with same software, as the drivers did not work any more if you wanted speedy. Not your fault too.

Wm.

I have failed to aquire the network printer and driver information from our IT department *shakes his fist at them like an angry old man chasing kids off his lawn* why i aouta!

Has anyone else come up with anything new on this issue? I'm at a loss and a bit disappointed in my own companies approach (or lack there of) to this issue ......

of coarse as soon as i make a post i get the information ...... we have several different printer and drivers but i know the follow

Canon Image runner 5055

driver: canon iR5055/iR5065 PLC6

No solution here either, I have been reloading printers for same engineer, yesterday and today, he is only one with problems. Just a few minutes ago he was having problems with changing layer colors in AutoCAD 2005, we had to select more than 1 layer in order for the layer colors to change and it took several seconds to select each layer. I am thinking maybe a bad Windows install.

No solution here either, I have been reloading printers for same engineer, yesterday and today, he is only one with problems. Just a few minutes ago I he was having problems with changing layer colors in AutoCAD 2005, we had to select more than 1 layer in order for the layer colors to change and it took several seconds to select each layer. I am thinking maybe a bad Windows install.

my IT department refuses to believe windows has anything to do with it lol, i'm so PO'd at them.

okay, here's the printer/driver of one of the machines were using :

Canon Image runner 5055

canon iR5055/iR5065 plc6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Guys,

Found this thread by searching for the same issue and this was the 1st result with no resolution.

I fixed the issue by running the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3. I don't know the rhyme or reason as to why this happens because it works fine for some of my other win7 x64 users and the new guy we just hired is the first problem I've had like this. I've verified this fix on 2 different computers so far so hopefully it will work for you as well!

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Tiger
removed links