"X" to explode different from "explode"

Weird question/issue for you guys. I tried a search but man, try searching x or explode and see what happens lol.

Here's the scenario. I type "x" from a command line to explode an object. Previously, I could window that object, however now I'm relegated to selecting one object at a time. Which is fine in and of itself but when I've got multiple items I want to explode, it kind of makes it difficult. (ACAD Arch 2011 btw)

I've discovered that typing "explode" allows me to use the function as normal, with windowing options available to me. Here's the weird thing: According to my Command Aliases, "x" is set to use "EXPLODE" as it's command.

I thought maybe it has something to do with CAPS so I tried changing it to lower case. No dice. It keeps coming up caps on my command line.

I've tried typing explode in all caps manually and that lets me use the function normally.

Something's up with me using "x" as a keystroke entry but I can't figure out what. Anyone ever come across this issue?

Yes, I know I have options like clicking an icon, but i'm old school and most of my work is done via keyboard.

Thanks!

-kp

I don't know why you are having trouble with your typing, but for the selection problem, have you checked the system variable PICKAUTO - it should be set at 1

pickauto and pickfirst were both set to 1

I've grown to hate this version of CAD lol. I crash daily. sometimes without doing anything. I'll walk away from my desk, and come back to a crash screen.

What are your computer specs?

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00 Ghz

3.0Ghz, 3.50GB Ram

WinXP SP3

PICKADD variable?

My pickadd variable is 2. I don't know what it should be.

In addition to my daily crashes, every now and then, my savetime gets set to zero... unfortunately, I never figure this out until I crash and lose a bunch of work.

Huh, I just noticed that if I type "x" the command line prompt is "Select object:"

If I type "explode" the command line prompt is "Select objects:" as in plural!

Huh, I just noticed that if I type "x" the command line prompt is "Select object:"

If I type "explode" the command line prompt is "Select objects:" as in plural!

Either method I get "Select objects:"

I just found this in the Explode Help file

"Note: If you're using a script or an ObjectARX™ function, you can explode only one object at a time."

Perhaps gremlins have been at your machine :shock: