• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimcro55

• eldon

• ReMark

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a job and I am in a rush, I don't sit around all day and talk on forums....

Nice picture man. Looking good.

This thread is going downhill fast. :roll:

Please keep in mind, this section is for beginners, hence the name "Autocad Beginners' Area".

jimcro55, I believe SLW210 gave you the instructions necessary to complete this drawing back in post #14 on page 2. If you follow his instructions you should be able to complete this drawing in about 30 seconds. Were you not able to follow what he was trying to explain?

I think that even the beginners should have a basic knowledge of highschool geometry before asking questions in "AutoCAD Beginners Area". Without that, where is the limit?

jimcro55:

I believe you can do it with a bit of help.

Start by drawing two lines, one at 4.5" and one at 3.5" (vertically). Enable Orthomode by pressing the F8 key (watch your command line to see if it is On/Off). Orthomode keeps your lines in perfect horizontal or vertical orientation.

I think that even the beginners should have a basic knowledge of highschool geometry before asking questions in "AutoCAD Beginners Area". Without that, where is the limit?

Where's the limit? I don't know, but I don't think insulting the OP is helpful in any way.

Where's the limit? I don't know, but I don't think insulting the OP is helpful in any way.

Well, no doubt the insulting is not helpful. Do you think that my post was insulting to the OP?

Well, no doubt the insulting is not helpful. Do you think that my post was insulting to the OP?

No, I don't think your post was insulting. It's not unreasonable for us to expect beginners to have basic knowledge of geometry, but if they show that they don't have that basic knowledge, we should try to educate them instead of insulting them or making them feel stupid.

Well, then, the good trick for the "beginner" would be to let everybody know up front how much knowledge is, or isn't at his (her) disposal. If the knowledge (or a lack of it) becomes apparent during the discussion, it is very difficult to make the conversation polite enough so the OP or someone else never feels stupid. There are very smart and experienced people in this forum but not everyone is as patient as ReMark or capable of being always politically correct while trying to help.

I am afraid that I just don't see any insulting behaviour going on, except the OP's insulting our intelligence in trying to get someone to do his/her task, and then getting grumpy when found out. :shock:

I try to show how to do something, but generally not to reveal the answer for free when there is an obvious shenanigan going on.

Trying to draw a very basic rectangular shape with dimensions of:

6.5" x 4.5" x 3.5"

Using a CAD program is a professional endeavor that deserves (demands?) a professional level of preparation.

A second grade teacher expects new class (all beginners at 2nd grade) to already know the alphabet.

In the 3rd response to this thread I suggested the OP attach what was completed so far - right or wrong.

I would expect that anyone asking even a beginner question can sketch 4 lines.

For some reason I expect anyone entering this profession to understand the definition of rectangle or parallel (and perpendicular).

Not everyone can play pro football (or soccer). Not everyone can do CAD.

Just my opinion.

Edited by JD Mather

I am afraid that I just don't see any insulting behaviour going on, except the OP's insulting our intelligence in trying to get someone to do his/her task, and then getting grumpy when found out.

I don't think the OP got grumpy until after the insulting comments were posted, which have now apparently been deleted by the author. Maybe that's why you don't see them?

And the OP did state that this is his first and only day on autocad, so I would expect a little more patience with someone who admits they are a beginner and admits that they have never used Autocad before.

How do I draw a line exactly 4.5"? Sorry first and only day on autocad.

Also, I don't see anywhere in the thread where he's asking anyone to do the work for him. All I see are questions asking how to do it. It's obvious that he doesn't have a clue as to what he's doing, but does that give us license to ridicule? I don't think so, but that's just my humble opinion.

jimcro55, your last post has been removed for obvious reasons. If you still need help with this problem, please respond and let us know, but if there is any further mud slinging, from either side, this thread will be closed.

Also, I don't see anywhere in the thread where he's asking anyone to do the work for him.

I will just pay someone to do it....

Need I say more.

eldon,

I meant someone off of this forum. I thought this forum was a place to come and ask for help, not a place to be attacked by nerds.

eldon,

I meant someone off of this forum. I thought this forum was a place to come and ask for help, not a place to be attacked by nerds.

It is generally a friendly place to hang out and beginners are normally treated better. Lately it has taken an unpleasant turn for the worse, and only by a few, so don't judge all members by the actions of one or two. If you hang around long enough you will get a better feel for the members and you can block the less than helpful ones.

This Forum does give help and it was clearly spelt out to you how you could accomplish the task you wanted.

If you define a nerd as :

nerd /n:d/ n. slang (orig. US). Also nurd.M20. [Origin unkn.]

An insignificant or foolish person

then I am not sure that you are using the correct word

eldon,

I've offered suggestions and my help. Need I do more?