Autocad project - beginner

jimcro55

What's up guys? Looking for some help with a project I am trying to complete on autocad.

Need it done today and our usual autocad tech guy isn't in (OF COURSE!)

Trying to draw a very basic rectangular shape with dimensions of:

6.5" x 4.5" x 3.5"

What is my best way to do this? I also need to find out the angle of the two 6.5" lines in this shape. Thanks for the help.....

_JC

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimcro55

• eldon

• ReMark

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A very basic rectangular shape could be drawn the ....Rectangle command. Are you doing this in 3D? I ask because you indicate a length, width and a height. Yes/No?

A very basic rectangular shape could be drawn the ....Rectangle command. Are you doing this in 3D? I ask because you indicate a length, width and a height. Yes/No?
and AutoCAD 2000i

Three dimensions. Maybe his basic rectangle shape is really a triangle or did I miss a dimension. He refers to there being two 6.5" lengths. Maybe he forgot to type it in.

Assuming there were supposed to be four dimensions listed (two @ 6.5") here are just two of many basic shapes one can create using those dimensions.

Basic rect shape.jpg

To find the angle of the two longest lines you could just click on each and check your Properties or do a List on them. How exact does the angle have to be? Do you know how to adjust the precision of an angle measurement? Will having the angle in decimal format be acceptable or must it be in another format?

Before we can help you, we need to know the shape that you are trying to draw.

A rectangle is a plane figure with four right angles and four straight sides, opposite sides being parallel and equal in length. Having three different dimensions means that you can't draw a rectangle.

Perhaps a polygon is required, but there are an infinite number of ways to combine your four dimensions.

Perhaps you can see that you are not being specific in stating your needs :?

Ok let me try to explain, and before I do, I appreciate the help.

It is a four sided shape. Two Vertical sides going up and down at a perfectly straight angle, perpendicular to one another. One is 4.5" and one is 3.5", therefore one is shorter than the other.

The sides that run horizontally will not run at a straight angle because they will be running from the top of the 4.5" side to the top of the 3.5" side and bottom to bottom.

Both of the horizontally running sides will be 6.5" in length, but they will not be perfectly perpendicular to each other because of the angle of the shape.

I would draw the 4.5 line and then the 2 6.5" lines perpendicular to the 4.5" line. offset the 2 6.5" lines .5" and draw 2 6.5" R circles @ the 4.5",6.5" intersection. Rotate each 6.5" lines with the 6.5",4.5" intersections as base points and use reference option, pick Center of circle and endpoint of line and rotate to intersect of offset lines and circle, draw the 3.5" line from endpoint of the rotated 6.5" lines.

You can skip the rotating and just draw new lines if you like.

I hope you can follow that. It took ten to twenty times longer to type than to do it.

Two Vertical sides going up and down at a perfectly straight angle, perpendicular to one another.

FYI: The two vertical sides are parallel with each other, not perpendicular to one another.

You can try typing this at the command line:

@4.5>90

It should go without saying that you first must pick a point on your screen to start the line command.

How do I draw a line exactly 4.5"? Sorry first and only day on autocad.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a long job. Best of luck :cry:

Then when you have drawn the shape correctly, you can get the angle by an angular dimension. Oops, I seem to have overwritten the angle :cry:

Angle.jpg