Laptop search for CAD LT 2011, don't want to go overboard, and other questions

ABPOS

Sony's are nice. I always see them as the Apple of the PC world. Pretty cases and a bit over-priced. The VPCEC4AFX/BJ model with the 17.3 screen would be fine. It is right at $1,000 though.

Question: Do you have to have a laptop? Why not a desktop?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ABPOS

• f700es

• SLW210

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony's are nice. I always see them as the Apple of the PC world. Pretty cases and a bit over-priced. The VPCEC4AFX/BJ model with the 17.3 screen would be fine. It is right at $1,000 though.

Question: Do you have to have a laptop? Why not a desktop?

We had a Dell laptop that went poof. I'm using my Mom's right now, I do a little bit of clerical work for My Dad's business, which isn't very much, but the quickbooks is on this laptop. It's an old HP that has less than a gig of RAM. I wonder if I should look into getting more RAM for it, but I don't know if you can. I want to be mobile in my house to do CAD. My wife works from our home, and my kids are homeschooled (they use a video cirriculum) When I'm at home, if I need a quiet place, I need to be mobile. My desk is in the living room, and I can hear everything my wife says on the phone. Which is OK, sometimes, but sometimes it's not. She works at a call center and is on the phone quite a bit. So, like I said, I'd just rather be mobile with my computer. I have debated about just getting a desktop, but I'm not sure.

I didn't think the sony's looked that expensive. Especially if you stay in the 15" screen range. Are the AMD processors OK for CAD LT? I would think it would be fine, but just curious.

AMDs are fine as long as you have the right one. They have low-end CPUs just like Intel does. An AMD Phenom 2 will be just fine. Just stay away from Intel HD graphics!

I have a line on getting a laptop from someone for a super reasonable price, but it has the amd phenom n640 dual core 2.9 ghz. Has 4 mb of ram and A good amount of hard drive space. I think 500 gigs. It's a Toshiba Satellite L675 with a 17" screen. I'm not sure if I'm going this route or not, but the price is right. I would imagine it's good enough for CAD LT, but what's this about not using Intel HD graphics?????? The other thing I don't know is if the. Actually, I'll look that up.

ABPOS, you really need to brush up on your PC skills. 4mb of ram, I think you mean 4gb. :wink: All that sounds fine just check on the graphics for the laptop. Since it is an AMD I doubt you'll see an Intel HD video solution as these are usually on Intel CPU based units. An Intel HD video solution is a integrated video card that uses the CPU as a GPU (look it up) and shares system memory. Not the best solution for a CAD/3D program.

Megs, rams, what's the difference? Hehehhehe. Yeah, sorry about that.

I'm not running 3D. Just CAD LT.

My Dad is giving me his laptop. He's a snowbird and bought a laptop when he went down to Fla. When I called to ask him his number for lenovo, to see if I can get his discount as an ex IBM employee, he told me he wanted me to have his. What a guy!!! If it doesn't work, I'll get another. I would think for CAD LT it will be fine. I'll see how it runs and go from there.

I was leaning towards a Sony at this point though, with an i3 or i5. The prices seemed pretty good on those. Although now that I've been on the toshiba website, they have decent prices also. But, I don't know the quality of them, nor sony. I know a guy that used to use his laptop a lot, traveled everywhere and was a pilot, who used a sony. I'm not sure which model it was though.