Navisworks

DANIEL

We have a customer who uses Navisworks, I've downloaded and checked out the free view but was hoping to get some feedback on this software from someone around here who has some experience with it.

My main concern at this point is the files they'll be feeding us through this program and how much of an issue its going to create between platforms.

What version of navisworksm i.e.simulate, manage, freedom? I use it extensively at my job. Its great for reviewing entire models in 3D. What will you be using it for? What do you mean by "issue its gonna to create between platforms"?

freedom is the viewer i downloaded, 2011 version. I'm hoping to be able to get 2d views out of it or at least be able to measure stuff in it, I just know that when importing stuff from another platform into autocad has been a pain at times for me in the past, mostely do to either proxy data or just simply subpar draftsmanship. Can you do with it all the things you'd be able to in autocad? I really don't know anything about it other than what is said under the product description on the autodesk site, it sounds like it must be a descent program though as you seem happy with it.

You can measure stuff in it, pretty accurately but Navisworks and autocad are apples and oranges when it comes to there use. Navisworks just reads the dwg and makes a realtime 3d walkthrough of it that you can review your model (xrefs, blocks, etc.) in. Thats about it, you can do rendering, but you cant model or anything in it. The simulate program has alot more functionality in it but it cost some good coin. What we usually do here at our job is make a file(called a .nwd which is the file type that freedom can read without having to send a entire a model), send the client the freedomworks program so they can see the walkthrough, and have our weekly or monthly reviews showing progress, potential problems in the field, etc. What is your area of profession?

If you dont have a .nwd send me a message with your email and i can send you one of my old .nwd's if you want to play around with freedom. A .nwd is the file type you have to use for Freedom, or a .dwf, but it cannot read a autocad .dwg directly, we use a program called Navisworks Simulate which is Freedom on steroids.