Computer

Benjo

Hi,

i'm looking to buy a computer in the next days and i would like you recommendation! Im a cad draftmen, i used autocad 2010, revit, 3d max, sketch up,ect..

with a budget of 2000-2500$

Thx!

Check out Xi Computers and/or ThinkMate. They both assemble computers specifically for the CAD market.

You are going all 64-bit (machine, OS and your AutoDesk, etc. programs) right?

Hi,

i'm looking to buy a computer in the next days and i would like you recommendation! Im a cad draftmen, i used autocad 2010, revit, 3d max, sketch up,ect..

with a budget of 2000-2500$

Thx!

My personal preferences:

Win7-64bit Pro

Intel Xeon processor, quads are not necessary for AutoCAD, not sure about the other programs you list

6Gb ram minimum

nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics card

10,000 rpm hard drive

I just retired a 6.5 year old Dell Precision 650 workstation, there was nothing wrong with it at all, just 6.5 year old technology. I replaced it with a Dell Precision T7500. I think Dell is offering 3 year warrantees now and the upgrade to on-site service is not much more.

My home laptop came with on-site service and when I had trouble with the charger they were here within two days with a charger and a motherboard just in case the charger didn't fix the problem. Another home laptop had a harddrive problem, I called them, they sent a box, I mailed the laptop, laptop was repaired and sent back all within 7 days.

So I am fairly impressed with Dell's service.

Depends on what you do. From the proggies you list I assume you do a lot of 3d modeling & rendering? If rendering is a big issue, by all means go for as many cores as possible (with a high GHz for each though).

The problem is most programs use only one core at a time. The only time any of Adesk's programs use more than 1 core is during rendering (supposedly regening in ACad as well, but I've yet to see it actually doing that). So it's MUCH BETTER to buy a 3.3GHz dual core CPU than a 2.0GHz quad / 6 / 8 core. Though the 2nd generation i7's seem to kick most Xeon's @$$ though - try for a i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz (never mind the overclockable 2600K). Unless you want to blow your budget on a higher performing Xeon / one of the i7 Extremes: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Graphics cards help a bit with the real-time viewing & turning of the model - they do absolutely nothing for rendering. And I've seen little (if any) improvement in Revit due to hardware acceleration through the graphics card. In ACad it's a whole different matter - there I'd never work with 3d unless I've got a decent GPU (preferably a Quadro / FireGL)! Sketch-up also takes some benefit from a good GPU. But no matter what, try to find one listed as compatible on the ADesk site - the others sometimes have issues which you'll wait a long while to get fixed.

As for the rest of the PC. Get as fast a HDD as possible - preferably a SSD if cost permits. Even just a small one for keeping your programs & swap disc, with a larger cheaper HDD for your data. And of course as always RAM yourself up good and proper! GB mean you have more speed - always. Then just perhaps also look at the RAM's clock speed, 1066MHz is about minimum these days, try for 1600+ instead. But if you have a choice go for more RAM instead of faster RAM, the speed difference becomes useless once you need to swap to disc.

Go with a good quality keyboard & mouse - not necessarily those with the most features and buttons (they're either way too expensive or break like nothing's business). And the screen depends on how good your eyesight is, but it's always better to go with larger & higher-res (even if it means go to CRT due to budget constraints). Though these days a good LCD isn't too expensive, now that the LED's are cropping up, and you might actually have difficulty in finding CRTs available.

I would say that the newest Xeon is going to be better for CAD work that the newest i7. Intel even says the Xeon is designed for CAD work and the i7 for other work. You may have anecdotal evidence that proves Intel wrong, I am just going by what they claim.

I dare say you might just be correct, or would that be Intel is correct? Though the OP has a budget of $2000-2500 and the Xeons which outperform these i7's (for around $300) range from $1000 to $1500. He doesn't have a lot of choice if that's only the CPU's cost!

Also with those high-end Xeons he's going to need good fans, which isn't such a hassle with the much cooler-running 2nd Gen i7s. I don't have any anecdotal evidence for comparing the newest Xeons, but have a comparison between i7-2600 and Xeon W3565. Work-wise, I don't see too much difference. But during rendering the i7 REALLY shows its stuff as compared to the older more expensive Xeon.

Edited by irneb

The new batch of i7 chips are supposed to be "da bomb" with the new Sandy Bridge line. Look for the i7-2600K CPUs.

Dell XPS 8300 has them. Call and get the card switched to an nVidia and get over 8gb of ram. I see Max so they will be rendering so a SB i7 with HT and quad-cores gets you 8 theoretical cores to use when rendering. Don't care about the built in graphics but it sounds like the clear choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

You're correct about the built-in graphics on the new i7 chips being less than useful. It's basically the same as those Intel Graphics built-in stuff on notebooks (only good for emails & letters). Though you don't need to use the built-in GPU, it can simply be turned off (which is the default when it's placed onto most motherboards). You need a motherboard with its own screen connector if you want to use the i7's GPU - which is silly since you'd rather go with a full 3D GPU.

Also the nVidia's are nice on the high-end cards. The Quadro's have extremely good 3D performance, and not-too-bad 2D when working in something like Photoshop. The GeForce cards aren't too bad either with slightly better 2D performance, though I'd advise going with one of the upscale ones of these though. As for AMD, the Fire* cards have similar performance in 3D to the Quadro's, but their 2D is a bit lower. Although the Radeon's seem to have similar 2D as per the GeForces, but 3D (when using OpenGL instead of Direct3D) seems a bit better. So to choose from these: If you use Direct3D & 2D image editing a lot, then definitely nVidia, if not Quaddro then a high-end GeForce. If your budget constraints force lower cost, and you could use OpenGL, then the Radeons aren't a bad option.

I'd advise not jumping onto the 2600K though. Even though it can be overclocked to 4.5GHz or so, I'd be highly suspicious of something which is pushed to its limits. And even with the overclocking it appears to have a marginal performance boost (over the normal 2600) from the testing site in one of my previous posts. BTW, I've had a workstation made up for myself a few weeks ago:

• CPU: i7-2600
  • PSU: 950W
  • Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
  • RAM: 16GB - 1600MHz
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GT430 1GB
  • HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm
  • Screen: Samsung 2333TN 23" 1920x1080
  • Including Win7 64bit Pro, 52 in 1 memory card reader and 2 year "Return to base" warranty
  • ZAR 13,665 (incl. VAT) = US$ 2,015

I usually only do 3D work in Revit and very seldom render using 3dStudio, but I do work a lot in Photoshop - so I downscaled a bit on the GPU in order to add more RAM. The reason I went with the "return to base" warranty instead: the retailer is only 20km from my house. Also we've used them before and their after sales service is excellent: http://www.evetech.co.za/

Over here in SA, most of the big names don't even know where it is. HP is a total loss, from experience they have a non-existent service. Dell is a bit better, but not as good as the guys I've went with. And we DO NOT send anything worth anything via post over here - it's a sure-fire way of getting it stolen (even if via registered mail) - even Amazon has disallowed sending to SA for anything else than books, as they have to re-send too many stolen items. Which leaves courier service at huge expense.

So if you "really" want as cheap as possible for the highest speed / size, you should look at some local guys in your area. Though if you do go with a local, try finding some references - we've had run-ins with other crowds making us pull hairs! Otherwise, if you can trust your postal / courier servicing by all means go with national / international suppliers.

I can also confirm the "8" cores working during rendering.

No, I would over clock this even if I knew what I was doing in that regard. It's stock specs are plenty fast enough.

Dell has the XPS 8300 with the new i7 as well.

i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz

Win 7 Pro 64-bit

24" HD LCD

16 GB DDR2 - 1600MHz

2.0 TB HDD

Blu-ray combo

ATI HD 5770 1 GB (not cool on this but I am sure they will swap out if you call and ask)

$1,839

2 year warranty

• 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommend that you build your own computer. Not only do you get the self satisfaction of building your own rig, you know exactly what you have.

Also, the cost is usually cheaper.

I would highly recommend that you build your own computer. Not only do you get the self satisfaction of building your own rig, you know exactly what you have.

Also, the cost is usually cheaper.

I've done that in the past, in order to "save every penny I've got". But when you do so, you'll never be able to get something replaced if it fails. They'll always tell you you broke it yourself.