Contour Lines and Interpolating

CADLee

You should know the math involved in this, a good example is you need to calculate the clash level of a sewer and a communication cable 26.5 along the cable the guys in the field are waiting and the electrician has turned the power off ! Your calculator though does have batteries.

Every day I learn something new, my grandfather said "the man who never made a mistake never made anything"

A computer should be treated as a tool not the answer.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADLee

• ReMark

• Organic

• BIGAL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should know the math involved in this, a good example is you need to calculate the clash level of a sewer and a communication cable 26.5 along the cable the guys in the field are waiting and the electrician has turned the power off ! Your calculator though does have batteries.

Yes, that is a fairly common situation, although most people should be able to calculate that easily. It (communications conduit) also should have been identified on the long section also in the first place...

I was once told that everyday you learn something new is a day worth living. Or something like that.

• 1 year later...
Why would they make you even have to interpolate contours from that many points like that? No one is going to produce a contour map that way in the real world. It is good to know how it can be done, althoguh its real world use is limited and is carried out by computer software rather than tedious manual calculations.

Sorry for the breach in internet etiquette by bumping an old thread, but I wanted to reply to Dink's comment regarding use of this math in real life. I have to do hand made contour maps for my job fairly regularly. I want to assure people, they should know the math. I'm here because I'm not too hot with math and when my boss handed me another contour map I, running on a couple hours of sleep, BLANKED! ReMark saved me for tomorrow when I go back in to work.

Though I don't like math so much, it's always good to know it. Thank you ReMark! I think your post is the only one explaining the math on the internet (or Google's first search page, anyway. :D)