Why is my WCS not straight when I load my dwt?

Malus21

I have setup a UCS that corrects the problem, however I cannot figure out why the WCS is not straight when I change back to it (WCS). I have found a few posts that address the issue, but they haven't really answered the question of "why" it is happening. I know that WCS is a constant, so shouldn't it be true north?

I would suggest that you not use a custom UCS in your template (DWT) files.

Instead, set for WCS, and use the PLAN command to set the orientation to WORLD.

Well, I have tried that. But the wcs is still slightly off instead of being straight, like it is when I have my new ucs set. How do I get the wcs to be straight again?

Perhaps you're in a rotated 3D view, instead set it for TOP.

Not sure how to do that? Paste this code to your command line:

(command "._-view" "_top")

... then hit Enter.

Does that fix the problem?

It did, but its changed the UCS to unnamed and when you go back to WCS it's not straight.

I'm tired of guessing... perhaps you'd like to post the template?

how can I post it? It wont let me attach the file.

Either ZIP it up, or make a copy of the .DWT and change the file extension (to .DWG?).

I had to save it as a dwg, but it was too large. the Snapang command did not work either. I appreciate the help though fellas. I may just start from scratch and create a new template. Sucks not knowing the answer to a problem though.

I had to save it as a dwg, but it was too large. the Snapang command did not work either. I appreciate the help though fellas. I may just start from scratch and create a new template. Sucks not knowing the answer to a problem though.

You mean that you have a blank template and it is too large to zip and post here?

Whew - I'm not the only one! :huh: LoL

Sadly, I just tried ZIPing the OOTB "_AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt" (670 KB), and it only compressed to 538 KB, which is still too large to upload here.

Sadly, I just tried ZIPing the OOTB "_AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt" (670 KB), and it only compressed to 538 KB, which is still too large to upload here.

That is quite interesting. I wonder why it is so large. Did you try a _Purgeall?

That is quite interesting. I wonder why it is so large. Did you try a _Purgeall?

Agreed, I had no idea that the OOTB DWT was that size... No, I didn't purge anything - it's OOTB. LoL