HVAC School project

Autocadstudent

When I draw the 16" x 12" on plate 3, it is so small. I can barely see it. Can someone help me with the true length and size of that rectangle so I can see it better? Thanks
Have you tried zooming in with the wheel? By the way, this thread is almost 3 years old.

When I draw the 16" x 12" on plate 3, it is so small. I can barely see it. Can someone help me with the true length and size of that rectangle so I can see it better? Thanks

When drawing in model all objects should be drawn actual size no matter if the object is as small as a paper clip or as large as a 777 Dreamliner. So, in answer to your question, the true dimensions are just as stated 16"x12". You wouldn't happen to be drawing in millimeters rather than decimal inches are you? What are your LIMITS set to?

As for the age of this thread I wouldn't be too concerned. I don't think Penn-Foster has updated their AutoCAD for the better part of a decade (or more) except to make a handful of corrections I mentioned numerous times.

My limits are 12',9'. I am in inches. My grid and snap are 1/2". My annotation scale in 1:1. I guess I will just zoom in to draw everything . I am just worried that it will tiny when my professor views it in Extents. Thanks.

Your limits are a bit on the large side but I'd have to take a look at the project instructions to see if there was any mention it.

After checking a drawing of Plate #3 provided to me by a former P-F student I find the limits to be set at 8'-6",5'-6". All geometry, text, and dimensions as well as the title block and border exist in model space. A paper space layout was not used and neither was annotative scaling.

Your really don't need Grid and Snap for this projection. Turn those features off.

And unless P-F has finally gotten around to making students utilize layouts and viewports annotation scale is probably irrelevant.

Your professor should not have trouble viewing the project when you hand it in because the final step in the process will be to incorporate a title block and border which will basically define the "extents" of the drawing when/if someone were to do a Zoom > Extents unless you did something weird which resulted in an entity or entitles being flung way off into outer space that "extents" is pushed beyond the limits required.

Thank you, you have been a great help. I have three projects left until I am done with the penn-foster program. I have a 95% and feel like I barely have a grasp. I would love to sit under your tutelage for a year before I go into the "real" world :)

Just curious, where do I post for the question to post in an updated area.

Thank you for your kind words. The company I work for does have an intern program. I've taught AutoCAD to several people over the course of my career. One is now an architect, another an industrial graphics illustrator, one is a civil (structural) engineer and one is a mechanical engineer. Where are you located? What do you do for work currently? And what made you decide to take an AutoCAD course?

"Just curious, where do I post for the question to post in an updated area."

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Would you like to post an entirely new question? If so, and it has to do with a P-F project, then this sub-forum (Student Project Questions) would be the proper place. If it has nothing to do with a P-F project, per se, but more with AutoCAD in general then post to the AutoCAD Beginners' Area forum or the AutoCAD 2D Drafting forum.

Edited by ReMark

Thank you. That does answer my question. I am located in a small east Arkansas town. My husband is a residential contractor and I help with design and drafting of the homes. I needed to know more about the CAD program.

Arkansas? You wouldn't be anywhere near Eureka Springs by any chance would you?

Re: design and drafting of homes. Do you have any architectural experience?

I am about 60 miles from Memphis TN. I just have the experience that I have learned from watching and helping my husband. I do have a good eye for the design of a house. The drafting part is coming along slowly.

I was going to recommend Architectural Drafting and Design, 7th edition by Jefferies & Madsen until I saw the price for the latest addition. It's gone up substantially since I first acquired it. Maybe you can find a previous version via an online used book store. I recommend the book from an architectural drafting standpoint and not necessarily as a CAD resource although the latest version will probably put more emphasis on that aspect of the field. I might have an older version in work which I would be willing to part with at a reasonable price if you were interested.

Ok I am going to look into finding the book. Thx :)

*SLW210 What classes would you suggest to help further my knowledge to be an Architectural Draftsman? That's the ending goal.

• 1 year later...

on the plate 1 HVAC project, how do you figure out the lengths of the ductwork? it is not specified in the directions as to how long the ductwork needs to be to connect to the different transitions and the floor outlets.

any help would be appreciated.

What information were you given? Were students given a PDF that described the scope of the project? Was there a sketch of the floor plan with room dimensions, etc.?

What information were you given? Were students given a PDF that described the scope of the project? Was there a sketch of the floor plan with room dimensions, etc.?

here are the project instructions.

i have the floorplan completed and all the outlets done. starting on the ductwork, but was confused by the instructions on how to get the lengths of the ducts.

054042.pdf

On page 12 the student is instructed to draw the registers first before drawing the ductwork. Did you do that? You are also instructed to center the ductwork with the register. You are told to center all floor outlets below windows unless instructed otherwise. Drawing temporary centerlines from registers and outlets may help in determining the path of your ductwork.

yes. i have all the registers in place. i'm unsure of how to figure out the lengths of the duct work running from the registers back to the transitions and bends.