HVAC School project

Autocadstudent

If you have a register at one point and a transition at another point wouldn't it simply be a matter of connecting the two? Why would you have to be given a specific length? Is is what it is.

Maybe i'm overthinking it. I'm using one of the pics you posted earlier in this thread as a reference as going through the project. It just seems to me that some of the ducts would require specific lengths. Especially the duct that runs South out of the inside unit. It goes from one transition piece to another transition piece. Then splits and goes West to supply the bathroom and continues South and splits again to supply the bedrooms.

I've circled some of the ducts i figured would require lengths.

I thought it might be poor documentation by Penn Foster. I've read that a lot on this forum and experienced it a lot while going through the course.

Penn-Foster HVAC closeup_ Plate 1.jpg

OK...I see what you mean. Until you provided the PDF of the instructions I was not aware that definitive dimensions were not provided for the ducts.

Yes, P-F is not known for the clarity or accuracy of its instructions which can be frustrating for a student.

• 1 year later...

I am working on this project, and have a question. How do I know what angle I make the last side of my pattern development. I know it needs to go up at an angle, just do not know how to determine what angle.  Specifically speaking the bottom of the 6" side?  I have attached what I have so far.  

PROJECT 7 PLATE 2.dwg

I have seen the example ReMark has posted, but I need explanation on how to do it.  Penn Fosters book, does not give clear help.  Could someone please help me understand how to get the true length on the HVAC project?  

Ok, I do understand what you are looking for now. There are times when PF is not to clear on the instructions. I did my drawings in 2009 so many updates may have happened since then. This clip pretty much shows what PF is talking about in the instructions. I did not check each point against your instructions, sorry. But had to leave you with a reasonable understanding of the procedure. When you go through the instructions, just do one thing at a time. You will get there.1843337225_Plate3truelengthdetermination.JPG.254e60cf0d06042cfb7e23a0a4e1865e.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for sending that Car5858, but I just don't know where to start. The instructions you get from Penn Foster are terrible. 

I think you need to read the instructions for plat one again. Going over the instructions sometimes helps.

Start with the transition at this point in your instructions; Draft the duct top view so that the X is 16" and the Y is 12" as paraphrased from paragraph four(4) of your instruction s that you posted.

I just stated it a little differently so you would understand better what they are asking.

Edited by Car5858

No, not able to open AutoCad files on this computer. A screen shot would be better. In order for me to open that drawing , you will have to save it to a 2010 file format. :)

Edited by Car5858

Looks to me your on the right track. Draw another construction line from A-B and extend it past the ends. Then Draw a circle starting at point B to the number 12 position. Trim this circle to the A-B line. Next draw another line from the A-B line and the B-12 circle, down until it intersects with the top line of the side view. label that intersection 12. Next draw a line from point 12 to the B of the A-B line at the bottom. This will be the true length of that line. This is just a standard projection of lines to obtain the true lengths.

Hope that helps, I have to step away for a few Hrs. Good luck.

• Like 1

You have been super helpful!!!!!!! Thank you.  I have that part done.  Now can you tell me how to get started on the pattern development?

1757855271_TruelengthLinetransfer.JPG.8c761ccf1d8569664a96c2337c89859e.JPG349604617_Flatpatterndeveloment.JPG.f3662dde2bd4d1596bcc1a13026e948b.JPG

Penn Foster project 7 plate 3 Flat plan

Once the top and front views are complete, all numbers are in place. Project the bolt locations from the top view to the side view. Starting at Line B-A, Draw a circle with the center on Point B in the top view to point 12. Trim this circle to the B-A Line. Label this point 12, and draw a line from this point (12 ) down to the Front view construction line X –Y. Next draw a line from this intersection to point B on the front view. This will be the true length of the line B-12. You will have to do this for points 11, 10, 1, 9, 8, and 7.

The above lines become the flat pattern. Start by copying the vertical line point 10 down to line B-A, it will appear as an off center tee shape (not true length). Now using the Top and side view projection, Draw a circle with the radius of the line 10 – B and 10 – A. Place these circles at their respective points. On the Diagram you just drew previously. Where the Circles intersect at the apex, will be the end point of the vertical line 10-B-A. This is the true length of that line and the first step of drawing the flat pattern.

In the next step, you will be adding lines: 11-B and 9-A. Start by drawing a circle with the center point on point 10 of the top view, to point 11. Move circle 10-11 from the top view to the 10 point of 10-B-A on the flat pattern. Now that you have this set up you can draw a circle of the true length of line 11-B With point B as the center of the circle. Next move it to the point B on the flat pattern. Where these two circles intersect, draw a line to point B.

You will need to progress through each line with this procedure for each side.

The flat pattern will change with each section added. It is easier to draw each section then rotate them into position using the Circle intersections as a guide.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Car5858
Remove excess files from upload.

I am still so confused. Im sorry. I have emailed the instructor to see if he can give any guidance.  I have the top and front views done, but now starting on the pattern I am still lost.  

Think about where the seam will be.  Then unfold it in your mind. Previously in this thread is a link to another thread that will shed some light on this project for you.

Look at the instructions that I posted in my previous post. The seam will be along the 4 point to the base line C -D. This is why I had you start at the opposite side. With Line 10 - B-A.

• 1 year later...

Hi @ReMark

I am trying to draw the deflecting damper for plate 1. I see from the reference below , the SK1 outlet is drawn on a wall inside kitchen. I dont see a dimension or a wall like that on my Plate A sample i got from penn foster. The image I am referring to from this thread is below. I only have the wall between closet (Bedroom1) and kitchen there on the west side, nothing inside kitchen. Also what is Toe clearance?

Penn-Foster HVAC closeup Plate 1.jpg