open two files in AutoCAD 2010

khoshravan

In older versions of AutoCAD it was impossible to open two files simultaneously. I think it was added in later versions.

Now I am using AutoCAD 2010 but I don't know if I can open two files and shift between them. If it is possible, how can I do that?

As a second question in the same subject, is it possible to copy objects from one file to another?

set SDI=0 to allow multiple drawings open and SDI=1 for Single Document Interface. Once you have more than one drawing open you can use the window menu to switch between them.

there are many ways to copy from one file to another but if you have 2 drawings open at the same time the easiest is probably to highlight your selection then right click and use Copy With Base Point.

Dear dbraoda

Thanks a lot for your complete reply.

I checked the SDI parameter. It is set to 0 so this is set to what I want.

However in AutoCAD 2010, the windows for two drawings don't appear in the taskbar (for other programs like excel, they appear).

Inside the A2010 I can't a place to shift between them.

Edited by khoshravan
add extra note

The key-combination of Ctrl+Tab will allow the user to page through all open drawings.

Edited by ReMark
Ctrl not Shift

maybe we mean different things. I use the windows menu to swap...

[ATTACH]27609[/ATTACH]

or

[ATTACH]27610[/ATTACH]

These images are what I am looking for. Could you please tell where can I find "window" command in AutoCAD 2010? Previously I used AutoCAD 2007 and "window" was there on top but in A2010, the ribbon has changed everything I can't find it.

The key-combination of Shift+Tab will allow the user to page through all open drawings.

I am familiar with this shortcut. The problem is that it doesn't work in my newly installed A2010. I opened two files and used your key combination with no result. Those key are not only for A2010 but for all other programs as well. It is windows command but even in other programs it doesn't work. BTW I am using Windows 7

If you want to view a list of drawings you now have to look under the Menu Browser which is the big red letter "A" in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. AutoDesk refers to the drawings as Recent Documents.

I think I found what you are looking for.

You need to have the Menu Bar showing. The pull-down menu called "Window" is included on it.

There should be a drop-down arrow on the right end of the Quick Access Toolbar to the right of the Menu Browser. Click on the arrow. At the fly-out menu find and click on the option Show Menu Bar. This will display the Menu Bar above the Ribbon.

That looks like AutoCAD Electrical. Is it?
me? It is electrical but I am not using any of the Electrical elements. It is a typical drawing of mine that I just happened to be working on at the time. And I normally work in SDI=1 mode.

If you want to view a list of drawings you now have to look under the Menu Browser which is the big red letter "A" in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. AutoDesk refers to the drawings as Recent Documents.

I think I found what you are looking for.

You need to have the Menu Bar showing. The pull-down menu called "Window" is included on it.

There should be a drop-down arrow on the right end of the Quick Access Toolbar to the right of the Menu Browser. Click on the arrow. At the fly-out menu find and click on the option Show Menu Bar. This will display the Menu Bar above the Ribbon.

Dear ReMark

Thanks a lot. You solved my problem. I was unaware of that tiny flesh near the quick lunch.

Just one more request.

Could you please tell me, whether the Shift+Tab works in Windows 7 or I have to activate it?

PS) Mine is not electrical.

My mistake. That should be Ctrl+Tab. I corrected my earlier post. It is an AutoCAD feature not a Windows feature and should work in any Windows OS.

My mistake. That should be Ctrl+Tab. I corrected my earlier post. It is an AutoCAD feature not a Windows feature and should work in any Windows OS.

Good job. It worked. Thanks

• 2 years later...