Invalid file error not caused by incompatible versions

Leyla

I have saved a .dwg file that I'm using on my AutoCAD 2011 as an earlier version of AutoCAD (2007) and sent it to a friend who has 2009 version. She is getting an error message saying that the drawing is invalid. We tried using the .bak file and recovering the file and even inserting it in an open dwg. none of which works. I even sent her a .dxf file but it still doesn't work.

I thought maybe it's because everytime I save a file AutoCAD generates a .dwxf file along with the dwg. so I sent her that file too but she still can't open the file.

Any idea what it might be ?!!

Instead of doing a SaveAs, I *believe* you need to ExportToAutoCAD. :)

I don't have vanilla AutoCAD, but in Civil 3D / Land Desktop it's the _AecExportToAutocad20XX command, where 20XX is the file version.

I don't have vanilla AutoCAD, but in Civil 3D / Land Desktop it's the _AecExportToAutocad20XX command, where 20XX is the file version.

Not in plain vanilla AutoCAD.

Can you open the file that you are sending? How are the files being sent? Can you send the files saved in 2010 and have them use DWG TrueView to open and save down.

Try saving to 2004 or 2000.

I stand corrected, it is command line only -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD or AECTOACAD notice the - in front of EXPORTTOAUTOCAD

Yes. I can open the file on my own computer. no problem there. and I sent the file over email first and then tried copying it on a USB and sent the file again that way . I'm going to try this export command and also try saving to maybe 2004 or earlier. Will get back to you with the results soon !

From Civil 3D 2010:

_AecExportToAutoCAD2004

Note: Drawing will look like crap. Blocks will be larger and anonymous blocks.

Thank you ! Thank you ! Both of your tips worked perfectly. I used "save as" to autoCAD 2000 verison and she could open it. I also tried exporting, the "EXPORTTOAUTOCAD" command didn't work but AECTOACAD did and she could open both files. Thanks again :)

For a best convertion, use Autodesk DWG TrueView, is much better convert files to others version of ACAD. And DWG TrueView is free.

• 4 weeks later...

Even I have the similar kind issue, but I have openned file in the latest version i.e. AutoCAD 2011 but still I'm getting same problem. If the file is corrupted it will give us the msg file corrupted but the msg I got is " Drawing file is not valid ". What would be the problem, anyone can plz help me out how figure this issue

Thanks in advance

yes I tried It, but it did not open in DWG true view, I got the same msg "file not valid". At the moment I can't share the file coz its in my office PC probably I can share it on monday. anyway thanks for the reply

• 2 years later...

DWGTrueView is free from Autodesk and will convert to a version you can open with 2007.

This message also could indicate a corrupt file, try Audit the file, if doesn't open in DWGTrueView.