Border Size

tennis4you

I set a border up to be 24"x36" and it appears to be slightly outside the dotted lines for paper space when I x-ref it in. I also noticed on my plots that 3'-0" is measuring close to 3'-1" which means I have screwed something up.

I have the plot settings set to "Extents", "1:1" and I am using the Cute PDF plot driver.

Instead of creating a border that is 24"x36" do I need to create one that is exact to the printable area to make it the right scale? Not sure what the printable area is or how I figure it out though. Lost.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

If your border is correctly drawn to 24"x36" (ARCHD), then I would (instead of using Extents) use Window, or View (named view) options. Also be sure that the paper size selected in the Page Setup dialog and in the PDF Properties is set to ARCHD.

Hope this helps!

The issue is, it's the paper that is 24" x 36". The printable area denoted by the dashed lines on my Arch D layout is about .29" smaller than that, all the way around. Your border line and your viewports must all be inside that .29" of unprintable space.

What I've done is create a border line Block. I started with a 24" x 36" rectangle. I put an Insertion Point at the lower left corner of that rectangle, offset the rectangle inside the original one by 1/2", then erased the original one. The rest if my border line and title block all are inside the resulting 23" x 35" rectangle, and I have an insertion point that will land smack on the lower left corner of paper space when I insert at 0,0. I usually use the 23" x 35" rectangle as the viewport area as well. Everything lands inside of the printable area.

You are only going to get things plotted to scale using "Extents" or "Window" by accident. Use a scaled viewport, and plot "Layout".

Further to Dana W comments depending on your printer or plotter the hard clip limit will vary. As an example a cut A1 sheet needs to be held by the plotter when it does its final line across so the start may be 15mm but the opposite side may need 30mm on a roll both wil be 15mm.

Check your printer handbook ! like Dana be a fraction inside this box we use 1mm smaller.

Thanks guys! This is where I get slightly confused though (Worked on MicroStation for 12 years and I am making the switch, my brain is in overload). If I make the border 1/2" smaller on all sides do I just click on 1/4" scale in the viewport and that will make it 1/4" regardless of the border size? I guess I am curious how much I need to bring the border in to make sure I get the 1/4" per foot scale. So can I make it 1" smaller on all sides and get the same effect? Just curious of the logic.

Edit - I just made the border smaller and it seems the border simply does not go to the dotted lines that are provided in paper space, I assume that is OK and that is what people were referring to, and it still prints 1/4" scale? Then I guess my question is why will it not print to 1/4" scale if the border file is drawn slightly bigger than the dotted line? Is it not printing to scale (when bigger) because I am saying to print to "extents" and it is printing beyond the paper space dotted line?

What paper size are you selecting? I use Arch D, it is 24" x 36". ANSI D is 22" x 34".

I have my Layout Tab set up to look the same as the Model Tab, _OPTIONS>Display>Layout Elements and I have everything unchecked except Display Layout and Model tabs.

I have my ansi D border at 20 3/4" X 32 1/4" , with this margin set up I can print 1:1 on a full size 22x34 or a true half scale at 1:2 on 11x17. Just some thing for you to conscider if your going to need to plot things out on a different sized paper.

... Then I guess my question is why will it not print to 1/4" scale if the border file is drawn slightly bigger than the dotted line? Is it not printing to scale (when bigger) because I am saying to print to "extents" and it is printing beyond the paper space dotted line?

If the border is made to fit inside the plottable area for the plotter then when you plot 1:1 it will plot to proper scale. If the border is extending beyond the plottable area and you plot to fit then everything gets reduced to fit on the page. As already mentioned, make your border smaller than 36x24 (as an example 35x23) because plotters typically can't plot all the way to the edge of the paper. Then when you plot consider using the Layout option rather than window or extents. You may need to add in a plot offset value for X to get the margin to the left, etc.

Personally I use extents, 1:1, with center the plot checked.