Problem with IES Lighting particularly its source glow

ThrashMetal

Hey All,

I have been using the IES lighting recently and the effects are cool, it certainly adds a bit drama to your scene.

my only observation is that i see the photometric web or the light distribution, but the area where i placed the light (used free light and placed it in a lighting fixture) does not glow as it normally should which appears non- sense since you have a light distributed but where is it coming from?, certainly not from the fixture since it does not glow! (that would be the common reaction):?

what i did is clone the free light, replaced photometric web with uniform spherical and that served as the glow.

is there a way to create the glow as light source and have its light distribution as well or is what i did the normal way to do it?

a.jpg

notice the lighting fixture does not emit light but has a light distribution pattern, what i did with the pinlights on the ceiling is clone it to emulate a normal recessed pinlight.

plus do i have a way to control the distribution?, for example, if you notice the recessed pinlights, the distribution is not clear, it shows the pattern way down. i want it higher on the wall and will show the pattern like the wall lamps in this image did.

c.jpg[/img]

heres another view, notice the wall lamp does not glow as if to appear that it is on and is the one that the light pattern on the wall comes from.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Photometric point lights in most cases target when i want to illuminate art works etc...

photometric offers the shape of the light being either a cylinder point, sphere etc.. i set the radius and create some hollow glass around it at .05 inch thickness to appear like a lightbulb at give the glass refractions.

I am not sure what you are asking, but ive always been recommened to use photometric lights for realism.