Chamfer tool in 3D

nestly

Has anyone had success using AutoCAD's CHAMFER>ANGLE command to chamfer in 3D? Distance/Distance works fine, but I haven't yet figured out how to use the chamfer tool to put a 30 degree chamfer on a cylinder (or any angle for that matter) by specifying a distance and an angle. Seems like it should be simple, but I always give up and end up creating the tapered edge by revolving a polyline that already has the chamfer, or using the TAPER>FACES tool.

No problem here using 2010. It probably is not as intuitive as it could be but that's AutoDesk for you. I got it to work the first time out on both a box and a cylinder.

My inputs for the cylinder shown below.

Command:

CHAMFER

(TRIM mode) Current chamfer Length = 0.2500, Angle = 45

Select first line or [undo/Polyline/Distance/Angle/Trim/mEthod/Multiple]:

Base surface selection...

Enter surface selection option [Next/OK (current)] :

Specify base surface chamfer distance :

Specify other surface chamfer distance :

Select an edge or [Loop]: Select an edge or [Loop]:

Yeah, 45 degrees works for me too because AutoCAD seems to ignore the ANGLE option and defaults into Distance/Distance mode resulting in a 45 chamfer. Can you make a 30 degree chamfer using CHAMFER and specifying an angle?

Can I? Yes, but not without first knowing the distances which to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If I know one of the two and the angle then AutoCAD should be able to do it. I must not be using the command correctly. Maybe the Angle option only works for 2D objects?

Can you make a 30 degree chamfer using CHAMFER and specifying an angle?

Can I? Yes, but not without first knowing the distances

So your answer is actually "no" :wink:

I just found another related thread here, and a tutorial by Matt Murphy which seem to confirm that AutoCAD can't do that simple procedure in 3D, which is pretty lame.

Thanks for giving it a try.

Yes, my answer is No. Clear as mud?

Maybe it's been changed in 2012? I'm telecommuting today so I cannot check it. Will have to wait until I return to work on Monday. I'll have to check out that tutorial. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1owqQpbIYr0

At 1 minute, he says "When you chamfer a solid, there is no angle option"

I still have a hard time believing AutoCAD doesn't have that ability, and also how long it took me to figure out I've been banging my head against a wall this long trying to figure out why I couldn't make it work.

I can't get the chamfer tool to work right either. It asks for a distance, then an angle. Then completely ignores the angle and asks for a second distance. Another one of those tools that almost works. I never noticed it because to be honest, I hardly if ever chamfer anything. Fillet I use all the time. If they left chamfer off, I'd probably never notice.

Using the chamfer command from the solid editing toolbar the only option is Distance. So I guess you have to do the math first to know the distances for the angle.

• 3 years later...

Found this issue a few minutes ago and found that by entering the first distance (in my case .5) and then using the Expression command for the second distance, I could input:

Tan(60)*.5

This produced a 60 degree chamfer. Long winded and unnecessary, but functional.

Command: _chamfer
(TRIM mode) Current chamfer Length = 0.5000, Angle = 20
Select first line or [undo/Polyline/Distance/Angle/Trim/mEthod/Multiple]:
Base surface selection...
Enter surface selection option [Next/OK (current)] <OK>:
Specify base surface chamfer distance or [Expression]: .5
Specify other surface chamfer distance or [Expression] <0.5000>: e
Enter expression: Tan(60)*.5
Select an edge or [Loop]:

Thank you for making this thread, else I would have been toying with the angle function for hours.

Edited by LaytonGB