Convert a curved plate to sheet metal...

Hickoz_bro

Hi all,

I'm trying to convert a curved plate someone else has modelled into a sheet metal part so I can get the flat pattern profile for it, but Solidworks wants either a flat face, or a flat end of a cylindrical plate... This curved plate has neither.

I've attached the file, but I had to change the file extension to .txt, so just rename it to .sldprt, and it'll open.

Thanks

CurvedPlate.txt

Why did you have to change the file to a txt file?

Why couldn't you simply roll up the feature tree, right click on the file name and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder and attach the resulting *.zip file here?

Did you use Lofted Bend to create the original part?

Edited by JD Mather

Why did you have to change the file to a txt file?

Why couldn't you simply roll up the feature tree, right click on the file name and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder and attach the resulting *.zip file here?

all that versus changing the file extension? Your right... what was I thinking?

This may not be the best or only way but you can accomplish this with the loft feature. You will need to create a couple of 3d sketches from the original imported solid. See attached photos, hope it makes sense.

4.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble with this. Is this something I can do with a part I created with a sweep feature? Otherwise, I can't get the Lofted Bend feature to be available, even though I've turned a top and bottom corner of my part into 3D Sketches (clicked on and Convert Entities). See screenshot. Anything you can help with?

If I try to convert to sheetmetal part first, it only allows me to select one of the flatter pcs. and then the rest of the pc disappears.

SW%20Curved%20Sheet%20Metal%20Problem%20-%20Screenshot.jpg

I'm having trouble with this.

Roll up the feature tree.

Save the part in a rolled up state.

Right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

You probably should have created a new thread for this new problem.

I'm having trouble with this. Is this something I can do with a part I created with a sweep feature? Otherwise, I can't get the Lofted Bend feature to be available, even though I've turned a top and bottom corner of my part into 3D Sketches (clicked on and Convert Entities). See screenshot. Anything you can help with?

If I try to convert to sheetmetal part first, it only allows me to select one of the flatter pcs. and then the rest of the pc disappears.

SW%20Curved%20Sheet%20Metal%20Problem%20-%20Screenshot.jpg

Here is a quick example of using the lofted Bend function in Sheet metal. I think you will still have some difficulty with this. What is your end goal with this part? Make a drawing to send to manufacture?

Lofted Bend.zip