How to Set drawing To a Layout and Print it

atulkumarengineer

Hi!

how to set out a drawing to a Layout from model space? Please explain step by step process.

Atul

At the bottom of ACAD are two tabs called "Layout 1" and "Layout 2". You can change the name by double clicking the tab.

Set Up Page:

Right click the tab, go to "Page Setup Manager", then click Modify on the page you want to adjust. Here you can set up all the settings of the page, such as plotter, paper size, etc. If you want the page to print black and white, be sure to set the "Plot Style Table" to Monochrome.

Set up Viewport:

I typically get rid of the starting viewport (That white box on the page). You'll want to type "MV", which defaults to placing a rectangular box, but if you type "P" it will set up a polygon one where you can select multiple points of a viewport and where it's not square. This is good if you do civil type work.

Scale the Viewport:

Once the viewport is setup, click into it and find your work area. At the bottom, next to a yellow lock icon are some numbers. You can click that and it will give you a list of Architectural based values. If you do civil, what I do is find the area, then type Zoom SC 1/30xp (For 30 scale) or 1/50xp (For 50 scale), etc.

Locking the Viewport:

Once you have found your area and set up the zoom factor, be sure to lock the viewport so the scale does not get messed up. This can be done by click the yellow lock icon at the bottom, or going back into the paper space (click outside the viewport), then select the viewport window, right click and go to Display Locked -> Yes.

good explaining ohnoto.

if i can add something to this with regards to scaling you MV or multi view, you can also bring out your "viewports" tab which can be located by right- clicking an open space on the toolbars, select autocad and at the drop down list just click viewport. you can enter values here like 1:100, 1:50, 1:30 and so on..

Thanks for that Thrash, couldn't remember which toolbar that was, I don't use many toolbars, and have a zoom macro set up that I just use.

Some things I forgot to add also...

Plotting:

Right click the page tab, go to plot, hit OK (If you settings are correct).

If you are plotting multiple pages, click the first tab, then hold shift and click the last tab you want to plot. You will see them all turn black, right click and go to Publish. Again, if they are all set up properly, just it Ok, and they will all come out.

Sir,

I am also verry much confused with viewport. thanks for your approach for ploting without viewport. suppose I have done the plans of building in 1:1 scale and now I want to print to 1:100. How to do it

Thanks in advance

Atul

At the bottom of ACAD are two tabs called "Layout 1" and "Layout 2". You can change the name by double clicking the tab.

Set Up Page:

Right click the tab, go to "Page Setup Manager", then click Modify on the page you want to adjust. Here you can set up all the settings of the page, such as plotter, paper size, etc. If you want the page to print black and white, be sure to set the "Plot Style Table" to Monochrome.

Set up Viewport:

I typically get rid of the starting viewport (That white box on the page). You'll want to type "MV", which defaults to placing a rectangular box, but if you type "P" it will set up a polygon one where you can select multiple points of a viewport and where it's not square. This is good if you do civil type work.

Scale the Viewport:

Once the viewport is setup, click into it and find your work area. At the bottom, next to a yellow lock icon are some numbers. You can click that and it will give you a list of Architectural based values. If you do civil, what I do is find the area, then type Zoom SC 1/30xp (For 30 scale) or 1/50xp (For 50 scale), etc.

Locking the Viewport:

Once you have found your area and set up the zoom factor, be sure to lock the viewport so the scale does not get messed up. This can be done by click the yellow lock icon at the bottom, or going back into the paper space (click outside the viewport), then select the viewport window, right click and go to Display Locked -> Yes.

a ok..let me set it one at a time

1. your model space should be set at scale 1:1

2. when your on the layout page, do as instructed by ohnoto until the scaling part.

3. so now we are at MV i presume, so, create your MV, once done, double click inside the box of your MV, this will put you inside the model space, go to the viewport by clicking inside the box designated for your text, type in 1:100, the drawing inside your MV should change scale.

4. remember, set your scale at the page set-up manager first before this can all be accomplished, (example, if your using meters then set the scale to 1 unit: .001, in mm, if your using mm then set the scale to 1:1..

If you have Quick Properties enabled (the icon for it is on the Taskbar at the bottom of your screen) you can click on the viewport frame and in Quick Properties look for the entry Custom Scale. Click on the drop-down arrow and a list of scales will appear. Pick a scale.

You can also assign a scale in much the same way using the regular Properties window.

Viewport scales can also be assigned using the Viewports toolbar (if enabled) or you can look in the lower right-hand corner of your screen (on the Task Bar) where you'll see a number with a drop-down arrow next to it. Hovering your cursor over this icon will bring up the Tooltip description: Viewport Scale. The arrow gives you access to the scale list.

The tip you got before regarding using the Zoom command and setting a Zoom Factor (nXP) is the original way of assigning viewport scales. Most new users will find this method cumbersome.

Sir,

I am also verry much confused with viewport. thanks for your approach for ploting without viewport. suppose I have done the plans of building in 1:1 scale and now I want to print to 1:100. How to do it

Thanks in advance

Atul

I'm confused by what you are asking about, since it appears that this was answered with my original response and that of ThrashMetal. What type of scaling are you looking for? Doing building prints are you doing Architecture based? Metric based? Civil based?

As Thrash said above, do make sure everything is drawing 1:1 in model space.

• 3 years later...

1.Set draw your title block, depends on what size your paper e.g A1, A2, A3, A4 etc...

2.Insert XRef title block into your layout...

3.Set your scale of viewport...

p.s : practice make good... thanks... :)