Please help - imported CAD model is black

nidhi singhania

I converted a cad file into skp and made the walls of the file in sketchup. Then imported it in Max, but , somehow, the entire structure is coming in black...:oops:

I have no idea as to what has happened.

Can someone please help me with it, and can advice me on how to make it ok!

Yes, I did try the method you had suggested,but, no change.....

The problem persists..

are you using 3dsmax 2011 and vray?

cause if you are, vray does not recognize the material "global (architectural)" which is the material in the models you did in autocad. what i do is once i import the file from cad to 3dsmax, i create a vray material then assign that to all the imported model. then i can start.

this is important since this problem can make your work crash at render time and thats freaky since sometimes, one crash can cause a corrupt file and you dont want that to happen.

the error can be read at the vray messages that pops out when you press F9 or render your scene.

Cad64 , I am not importing the file directly from cad, instead , i am doing so from sketchup 8 . Well , i tried to upload a file for you, but its has crossed the uploading limit.I will make a lighter file and will post it soon.

[ATTACH]27774[/ATTACH]

I have attached the cad file, but i am not being able to upload the sketchup and max file..:? Its saying, Invalid file.

Just put the .skp file into a .zip and then upload that. You can do the same with the .max file, but it's not necessary. All I need is the .dwg and the .skp files. It's 6:30 am here and I'm at work now, so I won't be able to look at your files until later tonight.

Here, thanks for telling me the process to upload the files.

1st i created the image in cad then converted it into 3dimensional in sketchup and then imported it in Max.....

:geek:

Drawings.zip

i tried everthing but i really cannot encounter the problem your having, it seems to work ok to me, ill try to upload later once our net speed increases, theres a lot of people using this line.

just out of curiosity, why didnt you model it in autocad?, why draw the lines in cad then extrude them in sketch up?

ok..i know your using mental ray, at first i rendered your max file and it showed the same, black, but when i assigned a simple mental ray material ("get material" then choose :arch & design, then apply that to your material), press f9 and it will render not as black anymore. i really dont know how to upload this file, need help but it looked good to me, i even applied different materials and it looked of at render time.

I dont know how to make 3d figures in cad:(. That is why I am applying this process

I tried to do as you directed, but the entire image is not coming when i am rendering it... :unsure:

Secondly, i can see the coloured image only when i am rendering it, otherwise it is still coming in black. If and when i will attach proper material to it, then it will be really difficult to judge how it is looking on the structure.

Dont you think so!!!

untitled.zip

Here, thanks for telling me the process to upload the files.

1st i created the image in cad then converted it into 3dimensional in sketchup and then imported it in Max.....

:geek:

I just looked at the file you posted and the solution is simple. Make sure you're in Polygon selection mode, window select the object so that all faces are highlighted in red and then hit the "Flip" button. Then just apply a material to the model and you should be good.

yes, that worked perfectly, i just found out you are not using mental ray but rather scanline so i just did what cad said and it worked..

Hey, yeha it worked just fine...

Me so happy, i was quite irritated due to this:oops:

Thank you so so much...:thumbsup: