Proper way of creating a block?

neuri

Hi,

What is the proper way of creating a block that anyone can use?

I did 19 drawings, created blocks using the CREATE button, at first I could Insert them into any other drawing. But I saw this definition in a book,

Creates a block from separate entities (internal to current drawing), does this mean that a user on another computer cannot use my block unless he has the original drawing?

My boss told me that he uses WBLOCK instead, which writes to an external file.

I'm asking because out of the 19 drawings, 9-10 of them have the error "block referencing itself". I guess this is probably me naming the blocks the same as my file names.

So before I go any further, what is the proper way to create a block that anyone can use?

I also shared my CAD folder on the network.

I only use the command line so the names may be different however I create blocks in the current drawing using the BLOCK command. This gives me a dialogue box and generally you can just do what it says. ONE VERY IMPORTANT thing though that a lot of people overlook. Use the Pick Point button to give it a sensible base point. DO NOT use 0,0,0 unless your block really is at 0,0,0. If you don't pick a sensible insertion point you will get bitten - especially if you make the block available to others.

If you want to add dynamic properties you can check the open in block editor button or exit the block and use BEDIT. If you are learning blocks wait a while before adding dynamic properties.

You are right about your "block referencing" problem. Probably your best course of action is to open the drawing, explode the block and purge the drawing before saving it again but there are other ways around it. What you cannot do is leave a block within a drawing with the same name as that file.

There are also several ways to share your blocks. You can save them all in one drawing and then create a palette with them or use design center to drag from one drawing to another. This is a good way to group families of bloacks.

Alternatively you can WBLOCK your blocks from one drawing to their own file. If you write them to a network folder and everybody has that folder in their search path the blocks can be INSERTed simply.

Many users like to create their blocks on layer "0". That way, when the blocks are inserted, they will take on the properties (like color and linetype) of the layer they are inserted. I never use 0,0,0 as my block insertion base point. I always pick somewhere (logical) on the block itself like Dave suggests.

Many users like to create their blocks on layer "0". That way, when the blocks are inserted, they will take on the properties (like color and linetype) of the layer they are inserted. I never use 0,0,0 as my block insertion base point. I always pick somewhere (logical) on the block itself like Dave suggests.

interesting. i always use 0,0,0 as the insertion point, but move the block contents so that the (logical) point is at 0,0,0. i guess we are saying the same thing, differently.

That is why I put in the bit about only using 0,0,0 if your block really is there. :)

It really depends how you are creating your block. I tend to draw my item in the drawing and then block it in place so my base point could be anywhere. I do sometimes draw the block starting at 0,0. The point I was stressing was that if you just accept the default expect grief later on when you can't select your block with a window or it runs off and hides when you scale it.

I don't see any reason to move a block contents I am creating to 0,0,0 just so I can use that as my pick point.

It all depends on how you want to use them and access them. The definition of a block is correct, "a group of separate entities that act as one in a dwg file". The Wblock command does create a external file, a DWG file not a BLOCK file. Any dwg file can be used as "block" when you use the insert command and browse to it. It only becomes a block when it is inserted into a drawing file. ( dynamic blocks act a bit differently)

Now what I did/do is create my blocks in one dwg file and use that dwg as a block library, save that dwg in a shared folder then anyone can use any block in that one file or make the blocks as part of the starting template file. If you are creating blocks to be used in mulitple files then look at using a block library. It makees using a tool palette or the design center easy for everyone to use the blocks.

I take a similar approach to designerstuart, that is I use 0,0,0 as the pick point (after setting the UCS to world). I also nearly always use WBLOCK to write an external file. Typically then I will open the newly created file and move the geometry to the appropriate position.

The reason I do this is if you select a base point other than 0,0,0 that point sets the INSBASE variable in the new drawing. The objects exits in the relative position to 0,0,0 as they where created from the original drawing but will be insert relative to the INSBASE and can often lead to confusion when inserting or modifying the WBLOCKED drawing.

There are other considerations as well, I like clean drawings without a lot of extra stuff in them. Layers carry over (and over and over...) Again after WBLOCKING I'll go into the new drawing and clean out any layers that don't belong in fact I'll usually move everything to layer 0. Same is true for linetypes, text style, etc.

If youre going to be making blocks that others will use then WBLOCK and or saving them as a separate drawing is the way to go. WBLOCK will let you save the geometry to a separate dwg file, as you state, which can then be inserted as a block into what ever drawing you or others need it in.

The "regular" BLOCK command is just for creating block definitions within the current drawing that you are working in. Which is why you have to be careful naming your blocks. For example, If you create a block using the BLOCk named "sink" and then at a later point make another block named "sink" using WBLOCK, if you try and insert it into the drawing that already has a block definition/name thats also "sink" you will get the 'block references its self' message. Even though the block may be very different drawing wise.

IMO the BLOCK command should only be used if you know that that block will only be needed in that specific drawing or is not going to be needed as a standard symbol or for common use. Other wise use WBLOCK or save it as a separate Dwg.

If you create a block using the BLOCk named "sink" and then at a later point make another block named "sink" using WBLOCK, if you try and insert it into the drawing that already has a block definition/name thats also "sink" you will get the 'block references its self' message. Even though the block may be very different drawing wise.

No it won't. You will get asked if you want to redefine the existing blocks. Answering Yes will update all existing blocks to look like the one you are trying to insert. This is a very useful feature and one I use regularly.

No it won't. You will get asked if you want to redefine the existing blocks. Answering Yes will update all existing blocks to look like the one you are trying to insert. This is a very useful feature and one I use regularly.

Yes youre right.

What I meant was dont have a block within another block of the same name.

My blocks all have a basepoint of 0,0,0, and I'm with Murph on creating a library drawing containing blocks instead of having a thousand tiny drawings that can be inserted as blocks. Additionally when inserting a dwg as block, you only get a very low res bmp, (or gif, or ping or whatever it is), compared to previewing actual blocks which are previewed in DC real-time, and at the same resolution as your display.

.....The reason I do this is if you select a base point other than 0,0,0 that point sets the INSBASE variable in the new drawing. The objects exits in the relative position to 0,0,0 as they where created from the original drawing but will be insert relative to the INSBASE and can often lead to confusion when inserting or modifying the WBLOCKED drawing.
when I saw this I thought "are you sure" but since I was at home I couldn't check. With 2008 this is not the case. A WBLOCKed block into a new drawing has its base point at 0,0,0