Color of crosshair

Tiger

Hi guys,

I have been annoyed with the color of my crosshair for a while, I have my background set to black so the the crosshair is white. This is no problem in Model and over the paper in Layout, but when I move the crosshair outside the paper to the Grey area, I can't see the crosshair.

I can't remember this being a problem before so it must be something with 2011 that I installed a while back.

I can find where I change the color of the crosshair (Options > Display > Colors > Crosshair) so thats not the trouble.

The trouble is that since I can't remember this being a trouble before, the crosshair must have changed color from White when black background to Black when white background.

And I seem to remember that there was a color before that was called Black/White that was this exactly. It changed from Black to White depending on the background - but I can't find that option any more!

Is it somewhere? Or has it gone way of the dodo?

I'm not aware of a solution because I don't think the paperspace background color can be changed, but you might try turning off the paperspace background (Options > Display > Display Paperspace background) or maybe tint your crosshairs.

I have the same problem using 2011 on my home computer.

What are you running for a graphics card? My home system uses a Radeon by ATI.

I use a black background in MS with red crosshairs. Getting old, you see, need the contrast it provides. PS layout is white with that lovely gray background, but I can still see the red crosshairs.

Quadro FX 880 M on this one (just noticed that my comp details are not updated at all - will change that soonis).

I don't think its a graphics issue though, the crosshair is just always white.

Noone remembers that there was a color in the standard colors that was Black/White? depending in your background it changed?

Red you say Jack...that could be a solution, thanks :)

You set the crosshair colour for PS and MS independantly.

When you go to Options > Display first, in the left pane, select the Plan/Layout option and then in the centre pane the crosshair element and then on the right hand side the colour you want 'Black'?. Change the option 2D Modelling and repeat for the crosshair colour you want there.

I like Jack's suggestion for red crosshairs in MS.

Tyke, yeah that I can do. But the trouble is that I want to display Paper Background in PS, so I have part of the screen with Black background (the paper) and the rest is grey - and the white crosshair doesn't show up very good on Grey.

I just changed the crosshair to Red which works fine on Black as Jack said, but the weird thing is that the crosshair then then turns to Cyan on the grey background.... perhaps rethink the graphic-issue..

Tiger, I've just checked back in all our releases from 2002 to 2012 (including 2011) and when we have the cross hairs set to black in paperspace and have a paper background, when the crosshairs go into the black background that part of the crosshairs in the black background changes to white.

I think ReMark is right about it being a graphics card issue. Also in none of our releases was there a colour option of Black/White for the crosshairs. I think that comes up somewhere else, but I have definitely seen Black/White as an option somewhere.

Thanks for checking Tyke!

I think I have a lead on what the trouble is. I am sitting at home today and only use the laptops monitor and when I went to change back to White crosshairs now - lo and behold, it turned black when I moved it to the grey background!!

So I am blaming the monitor at work - will take a long hard look at that on monday!

Hardware acceleration on or off?

I have machines with both Quadro and FirePro cards, and with a "black" background and "white" crosshairs , the crosshairs remain "white" on the grey paperspace background when hardware acceleration is turned on, but they do switch to black on the grey paperspace background when hardware acceleration is turned off.

Hardware acceleration could definitely turn off by un-plugging an external monitor, but I doubt it would re-enable itself automatically when reconnecting it.

You can toggle it on/off and access the settings, logs, and driver details by clicking on the "computer chip" icon in your status bar.

Hardware Acceleration.JPG

Ok, I can see that its Off right now (when the color-change is happening as I want it too) - I'll make a note to check it on monday to see if it turns on when I connect the external monitors.

Thanks for the tip Nestly :)

• 8 months later...

Late to this thread, but thanks to nestly for identifying the problem. I guess the next question would be why and what I might be losing when I disable HA?

Thanks

Pat