Help with hardware purchase

RasterRoger

Hi all,

The boss has asked me to find some new CPUs and hardware for my coworker and me. With this being my first job working with any 3D I was hoping to get some forum input as to what is the latest and what is everyone using as far as video, processor, and memory ect. I know more is always good but I need to not break the bank here.

We are currently working with 64bit, Autocad 2010, Cadpipe Commercial 10.0 and Navis and use all them daily to coordinate other trades with our plumbing medical gas drawings. Some of the drawings are large with lots of paperspace tabs and viewport. The boss seems to like Dell and I do as well. With so many choices would love to know your picks.

Any info as to what you have had success with would be great.

Thanks Roger,

Xeon 2nd generation for a chipset.

6GB RAM (the fastest you can get).

Maybe a small capacity solid state hard drive for your programs and a large platter-type drive for storage.

A damn good graphics card like a nVidia Quadro or Quadro FX or an ATI FireGL.

64-bit system goes without saying. Win7 Pro would be nice.

What kind of budget are you working with?

I will need to use my exiting screens .........I think its a 27" or 30" and a 18" that are both from Dell.

Edited by RasterRoger

Oh, OK. I thought you were buying new monitors too. You'll need a graphics card that will support dual monitors then.

this an extremely good website you can take a look at its http://www.colfax-intl.com

they feature a lot of high performance computing solutions and reasonable pricing,

Remark how does the XEON processor compare to the Intel Core i7 processors

Remark how does the XEON processor compare to the Intel Core i7 processors

Xeons can use ECC memory and some can be used in 2/4 processor boards. Apart from that, they are similar to their desktop counterparts.