Drawing a Radio Controlled scale model aircraft

rckeith

Hi

I've bee using AutoCad for a while now and while I'm no expert I can do most of what I want, but I'm just about to embark on a new project which I'm not quite sure on scale.

The aircraft I intended to model has a length of 137ft and wingspan of 140ft. Now I can't build it that big but it will probably be around 5-6ft in length once I settled on the scale I'm going to use. My question is do I draw at its original dimension and scale it in paper space or should I draw it in the size its going to be.

Any suggestions

Thanks

You draw it at FULL size in model space. Do not scale it.

When it comes time to print it create a layout in paper space add your viewport and assign the final scale to the viewport.

If your going to build the model with a 5ft wingspan then you should model it as that. Drawing the full size aircraft and trying to scale it later will get you in trouble...

Draw the model 1:1 not the full size aircraft...

KC

hmmm... differing opinions it seems. If you have paper blueprints with full size dimensions, how long will it take you to convert all those dimensions to the scaled version? Me say long time. If it's just out of your head, then do either way.

The approach I would take is if you have the dimensional information of the full scale actual aircraft model (or draw) it at full scale. Why make it difficult on yourself to convert the dimensions to your scale.

When you are done create a second drawing of the original named "Scaledxxx" and apply your scale factor to the objects/geometry.

5/140 = .037142857 You really want want to multiple all the dimensions you take by that scale factor?

Who me? Perhaps I misspoke. What I meant to say was to scale the drawing (with the SCALE command).

5/140 = .037142857 You really want want to multiple all the dimensions you take by that scale factor?

Yes...Kencaz

Maybe the fuselage and wings would scale OK, however, linkages fasteners and just about everything else does not scale well. You will end up having to redraw them anyway. There are too many differences in the scale aircraft...

KC

valid point. I still think the overall, as you stated, wings, fuselage should be full scale. then scale down and add fasteners.

Edit: Whups... In re-reading I see that some have gone this direction, the correct one.

Speaking as a modeler, there is no point in drawing the full sized aircraft. You will not be building that plane. The model will not have any structural parts that are identical to the full sized plane. Even the wing section, the airfoil shape, will have to be changed. Air pressure and gravity do not scale. you will need to research what to do to your wing to make it function given the design weight and speed of the model. Draw what you will be building.

Having said that, You may want to draw the outside three view in full size, then scale that down and fill it up with model airplane parts.

rckeith

Welcome to this forum and look forward to your continuous participation.

With respect to all those contributing to your initial question, may I suggest that you reply to the initial input from Remark, as this would appear to me, to be the most direct route to solving your requirements.