Own hatch pattern

Joro--

I often wonder what is the way to create my own type of hatch, for example I could draw a fragment and I would like to use it in the way I use the standard hatch. Any help would be great!

Depending on which version of AutoCAD you are running you might want to check out the Superhatch command. If you do a search of this site you'll find further information about it. Otherwise, any good reference book about AutoCAD should have at least one chapter dedicated to customization, including linetypes, hatch patterns, command aliases, Lisp programming, etc. One last thought, search the Internet for "AutoCAD" + "hatch patterns". You'll find plenty of links to sites with custom hatch patterns enough to fulfill your wildest dreams. Maybe someone has already designed the hatch pattern you have in mind.

If you want to do the work, you can code your own hatch patterns. Similar to writing your own line styles.

I have done this for metric cinder blocks, of course I can't find the file anymore. I do know that you can only have one custom hatch pattern per file and the name of the file must match the name of the hatch pattern defined with in the file. I found most everything I needed to know to write it in the help menu.

What does the hatch you want to create look like?

Good luck.

• 11 months later...

Try this:

1) create a block with your pattern.

2) Insert it with MINSERT command (on command-line). Set rows and columns to a reasonable high value to cover all the area you need to cover.

3) Use now XREF Clipping to clip the minsert to match your hatching area (you find it in Modify > Object > ..").

You can also find a tool, MyHatch, to create real autocad patterns of your own and store them in .pat files at http://www.abccorsicad.it/software_autocad.html it's for free and opensource!

To download the software (in english, though the page is in italian) you have a link there: " Download the English version ", to view or download only hatches examples go there

Edited by mtrasi
dead link (changed domain)

• 2 years later...
Depending on which version of AutoCAD you are running you might want to check out the Superhatch command. If you do a search of this site you'll find further information about it. Otherwise, any good reference book about AutoCAD should have at least one chapter dedicated to customization, including linetypes, hatch patterns, command aliases, Lisp programming, etc. One last thought, search the Internet for "AutoCAD" + "hatch patterns". You'll find plenty of links to sites with custom hatch patterns enough to fulfill your wildest dreams. Maybe someone has already designed the hatch pattern you have in mind.

Just wanted to say thanks for this tip!

I have been trying to figure a way to put in a CheckerPlate hatch into my 'Cad and ran a GoogleSearch on your terms with Checker Plate added in - found this link: http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/patterns/tip-2237-metal-hatch-patterns

.. pulled in the .zip file, copy-n-pasted the code into my acad.pat file, fired up my AutoCAD 2008 and found the patterns listed at the very bottom of my scroll-listing ... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: