3DS Max 2012 Interior Scene.. "Comment"

Raudel Solis

Well, the first thing you need to do when asking for comments, is tell us what program and renderer you used. Your profile says Autocad, but you posted in the Max section. So I will assume you used Max and Mental Ray?

The second thing you need to do is specify what type of comments you're looking for.

Is this just a test scene to help you get better at lighting interior areas, or are you looking for help to improve your interior design skills? In other words, do you want us to comment on the lighting or the lack of furniture and life in the scene? At any rate, you should at least throw some pillows on the bed. I mean, what good is a bed without pillows? :huh:

Likes and dislike i suppose, any comment on what is needed, suggestions etc.... i will throw some pillows, plants, oh and a rug under the bed, hmm... a safe in the wall :D

Just take a look around your own bedroom. What do you see? I'm sure you have more than just a bed in your room, right? Maybe add a dresser and nightstands next to the bed with lamps. Add a clock, a ceiling fan and whatever else you can think of that will give the render life. Make it look like someone actually lives there. And some curtains would be nice too.

Take a look at photos and renders of bedrooms online to get some ideas.

Also, the view out the huge floor to ceiling windows is pretty bleak. It looks like a wasteland. Create a backyard with a patio, table & chairs, grass, shrubs, trees, maybe even a pool?

The room incluiding glass/ aluminum structure was modeled in autocad and imported to 3ds Max.

All objects Seen have been done by me.

Including " The Tv Set, Bed, And Bench Seen outside."

Raudel Solis Room v2.jpg

Raudel solis room 2 v2.jpg

Looks better, but still needs more furniture. This room feels cold and lonely. And I'm telling you, that view outside the window isn't helping. Unless you're trying to achieve a feeling of complete isolation in this render, you need to breathe some life into it.

Put up a fence to enclose the backyard and then drop in an image in the background of some mountains or something.

Then, as I mentioned previously, add some plants, trees, grass, patio, etc. Make it look like someone actually lives here.

And I'm telling you, that view outside the window isn't helping.

Not at all trying to bash the O.P. but man that gave me a laugh when I read this. I guess I could hear the execution of the articulation behind it. :lol:

Render is looking really good, especially compared to my own skills. Keep it up, and listen to Cad64, he's a very knowledgeable guy in 3DSMax.

Well, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to convey the importance of working on every part of the render. You can't focus all your time and energy on the room and then neglect what's going on outside the window. Especially when the window is as large as the one in this render. It's so big that it's actually a main focal point of the scene, so the outside should be given as much attention to detail as the room itself, otherwise the render will suffer greatly.

But if you don't want to spend a lot of time detailing the outside, you should make the window MUCH smaller or put up some curtains to partially block the view or do something to draw the viewer's attention away from the vast emptiness of the wasteland outside, because when I look at the images, my eyes are immediately drawn to the window. And with it being dead flat and devoid of life, it just exudes isolation and loneliness in my opinion.

ive outputted more than 4 different versions since my last post this is the most recent.

il continue to work on thisRaudel solis room v7.jpg

I created a night scene, the girl is watching a scene from insidious and is scared...

i feel like ive lost photoreaslism in this night render :/

Night scene v8.jpg

I created a night scene, the girl is watching a scene from insidious and is scared...

i feel like ive lost photoreaslism in this night render :/

Insidious was a pretty bizarre movie. :twisted:

Yeah, there is something wrong with your lighting. You have some strange artifacts on the ceiling, around the light, and your shadows are almost non-existent. In fact, there is no shadow under the bed, which makes it appear to be floating above the rug.

What type of light are you using to illuminate the room?

Are you using more than one light source?

More comments:

I would change the material on the cabinet doors. It looks odd having the light finished cabinets with those dark doors, and the grain is much too large. I would make everything the same color and finish. You might also want to think about removing some of the doors or make some of them glass so you can see some books or dvd's. And maybe lower the top of the cabinet a little and put some little statues or pictures or something on top for decoration.

A potted plant might be nice, over by the window.

The bed looks really stiff. You might want to deform the mesh around the girl to give a little indentation around her to show that the bed is soft.

test test v9.pngWhat i like to do for deformations when it comes to soft objects is react them with the cloth modifier, though its quite time consuming the end result pay off well.

I was using an improper setup with what i believe a 4ft fluorescent i didnt catch the mistake now im using a photometric point light set to spehre shape. i took the project out of 3ds max 2012 and brought it into 3ds max design 2012, the lighting analysis assistant fixed and helped with a lot of little imperferctions. quick render

low res :(

Il do a number of changes to the tv furniture

I improved the scene thanks to Cad64's help which is greatly appreciated.

know bugs- Characters Sweater intersects with skin -- will be fixed by next update along with any other imperfections pointed out.

Night scene v9.jpg

updates--

sweater fixed

added plant

added ceramic pots to tv furniture

final tweaking of lighting

glass panels to tv furniture

deformations to bed sheet for softness

----

Night scene v10.jpg

possible changes to come----

i might make the bed sheet cover the girl while showing her face so the bed cant be called "stiff"

-------------------------

any more suggestions?

• 1 month later...