+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Using
    not specified

Default Apologies to the Yanks.

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

As an Englishman who was brought up on the imperial system of measurement I feel the need to apologise for a new movement by our government to have everything metric by the time of the 'Paris' olympics in London in 2012. This will include road signs.

It appears there has been no thought given to our American buddies.

(BTW, trying to work in inches is excrutiating).

Bone

Using
    not specified

Welcome to the 20th century bone..
    Regards,
    Eddie
    (Acad,ADT,AutoPLant Structural/Prosteel)
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. "

Using
    not specified

The British government has recently decided not to change UK road signs as they have other priorities for the money.

As for going metric, the US seems well over due to fall into line with the rest of the world.
    Aled Taylor
    (File size is someone else's problem)

Computer Details
    CADTutor's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Motherboard:
    Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-860
    RAM:
    4GB PC3-12800 C8 Corsair Dominator
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768 MB
    Primary Storage:
    Intel X25-M SSD 160GB
    Secondary Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Monitor:
    BenQ FP241W 24" Wide
    Discipline
    Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

It is a strange anomaly that road signs are the only vestige of our old imperial system. I don't see any real need to change them from a practical point of view but it would be neater if road distances were expressed in km rather than miles. It's just a quirk. Every other aspect of life in the UK is metric - we even buy our petrol in litres although stats are expressed in miles per gallon! I reckon car manufacturers like it that way because we'll never be bothered to actually check vehicle efficiency if we need to convert litres to gallons or kilometres to miles. Hell, let's have metric roadsigns where's the harm in it.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Using
    not specified

I have to admit that I can't stand metric! I've grown up with the metric system and I still find myself constantly working in imperial. Everytime somebody says something in meters my first reaction is to transfer it into imperial! Then when I'm driving if someone were to tell me how many miles per hour I can go I would look at them like they had a third eye! And feirenheight (SP?) , don't even get me started on that! I just wish that we could have a single system that everybody used....what was the point in switching to metric in the first place????
    Ok...I've blown off my steam about metric . I apologize to anyone that took offense!
    Mike

Using
    not specified

I used to work for an engineer who changed from specifying imperial dimensions to specifying metric ones. He always estimated the tolerances and specified those in imperial because that's what he was familiar with. We'd end up with things like 22mm +/- 3/32". Perhaps this is the answer.
    Aled Taylor
    (File size is someone else's problem)

Using
    not specified

By the way to anyone interested. If you are constantly having to change metric beam sizes into imperial beam sizes let me know. I made a spreadsheet to do this. Just drop me a line with your email and I'll send it out to you!
    Mike

Using
    not specified

Ya, we Canadians are caught in the middle.

We learn Metric in school, everything for consumers is metric, the gas and road signs are all in Metric.

However, as a designer I find that I work with imperial dimensions...even though I rarely send drawings to the US....and I love it. I hate it when I have to switch to metric.
    If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist,
    it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform
    to the prevailing standard of nonconformity.

Using
    not specified

Quote Originally Posted by good_m
    I have to admit that I can't stand metric! I've grown up with the metric system and I still find myself constantly working in imperial. Everytime somebody says something in meters my first reaction is to transfer it into imperial! Then when I'm driving if someone were to tell me how many miles per hour I can go I would look at them like they had a third eye! And feirenheight (SP?) , don't even get me started on that! I just wish that we could have a single system that everybody used....what was the point in switching to metric in the first place????
    Ok...I've blown off my steam about metric . I apologize to anyone that took offense!
    Mike
    Look, it's the way we are going and even as a die-hard Englishman I think we should.

However, I know how far 10 miles is; I know haw far a hundred miles is. It's inbred, forced in by education. As natural as breathing. As a pedestrian (eg) if I were asked by a passing car how far a certain place was I would be biffed in the gob if I gave it in kms. We have been brought up in imperial. It needs no working out. We all know what it is, how far it is, what it measures. But the metric system is far better. 17/64ths are not as easy.

I distictly hate (talking to the Brits here) how Attenborough only ever speaks in kms. It's almost racist. But is BSI easier to work with than KN? IAre inches easier to work with than mms?

The answer is no. The metric system is easier. Everything is in 10's, or units of tens and not ridiculous fractions. For God's sakes we live in the 21st century.

Folk who choose to work in fractions are dinosaurs, or work for dinosaur co's who insist on such, or a governemnt that hasn't seen how the rest of the world is, because of their insular power.

What now? Will a CAD take up the imperial USA system as against the Chinese?

Is there no-one in the US that would agree the states need to become metric?

decimalights

Computer Details
    Vince0115's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP Media
    Computer:
    Dell something
    Monitor:
    21" HP P1110 CRT
    Using
    not applicable

Default imperial to metric

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Bone,

Most who live in and around Chicago would argue violently with going metric, especially in land measure. The surveyors who laid out the city of Chicago ignored lakes, streams and rivers, whatever: 99% of the streets run either directly North-South or directly East-West. The city looks like a map grid from overhead.

Fuirthermore, each city block comprises addresses of '100': next block the addresses are 2xx numbers, next have 3xx, etc. To top that off, there are 8 city blocks (therefore 800 street numbers' worth of addresses) to the mile. Driving south from (let's use an example) 6400 north to 3200 north is 3200 numbers, therefore exactly 4 miles.

As suburbs were laid out and built, most of them followed exactly the same pattern; some which butt up against the city limits even continue/extend the city numbering system in their addresses. I'll be dipped if I'm going to convert those distances to klicks: I've live here all of my 59 years, and miles are second nature! (Parenthetical thought: since we Yanks still buy gasoline --sorry, petrol-- in gallons, the fuel efficiency numbers mean something here, even if they ARE all wrong by a factor of 10 to 20 percent.)

And yet, here in the factory, we program for the CNC machines is nothing but millimeters; I've been doing that for the last 26 years as all four of the companies I've worked for in that time have used only metric; I wouldn't have it any other way. Bring me a print in imperial and my mind just automatically "sees" the metric numbers that go with the inch dimensions on the paper.

Finally, on a lighter note, some of the old adages just sound better in imperial: " A miss is as good as a kilometer" just doesn't make it, nor does "A hundreth of a Euro for your thoughts."