Displaying Decimal Feet -- Entering Feet and Inches

Ethos Erlanger

My need here is to enter lengths in Feet and Inches. Then I would like the output (display) to be in Decimal Feet.

When I format the drawing units as decimal and the the entry units as feet, this forces me to do the conversion of all entry from Ft/In into decimal feet equivalents before I do the entry. (A tedious manual task.)

When I format the drawing units as decimal and the entry units as inches, this will not allow me to enter values in feet and inches, forcing me to convert all dimensions to inches-only values before I create the lines and enter them.

I have searched the forum and find similar threads, but they do not address this unique requirement.

AC 2012

Are these lengths going into dimensions or some other object type?

Edit: duh, it says "dimensions" right there.

Edited by CyberAngel

What is more important, the entering of the dimensions or their display in your drawing?

Have you considered the use of Alternate Units?

What do you mean by "output"?

If want to enter "feet and inches" but have your "Dimensions" display decimal, then simply set your units to Architectural and change your dimstyle to use Decimal as the primary units.

If you mean you want to input measurements as "feet and inches" but have AutoCAD display units as "Decimal" in Properties, at the command line, and in dynamic input ...... you can't.

Yes Remark, I just realized that the alternate units does in fact partially fit my needs. The Alternate Unit can be made to display the Decimal Feet as I need it to. However, the undesirable side effect is that I now have two dimensions where I only need one. I am unable to suppress the display of the Feet/Inches as the Primary Unit. This is a workable compromise at this point. I really want my cake and eat it too. I want AutoCAD to automate my effort at conversion from my entry of Feet/Inches to the display of Decimal Feet.

nestly, you are very close to a working solution, but this has the unwanted effect of adding my suffix for feet of ( ' ) to the angular measurements of degrees. It turns out sorta goofy looking if you ask me. Alternately I can omit the suffix, but all alternatives seem to leave me wanting a better solution.

nestly, you are very close to a working solution, but this has the unwanted effect of adding my suffix for feet of ( ' ) to the angular measurements of degrees. It turns out sorta goofy looking if you ask me. Alternately I can omit the suffix, but all alternatives seem to leave me wanting a better solution.

You need to learn how to set up DIMSTYLES. You can set each type of dimension to display differently.