problem drawing rectangle

rsc7227

Using autocad 2008. I cant draw a rectangle using 2 points. I don't need a specific size just want to put a box around text. I used to pick a point and then pick point 2 to draw rectangle. On this computer when I use rectangle it ask for length and then width. Is there a system variable that won't let me put in p1 and drag to p2 to make a rectangle?

Specify first corner. Then it ask for length, Then width.

ie to make one I type rectangle, pick first point, type 36 then 24 and a 36 by 24 rectangle is drawn.

That is the only way input can be used.

I need the option to pick 1st point then just pick second point without typing in coordinates or actual dimensions.

Thanks

It sounds like someone may have redefined the rectangle command on that computer.

What command are you using to start drawing the rectangle? Do you type REC and then hit Enter? Or are you typing something else?

Could you try it with a period in front of the command, that forces AutoCAD to use the core command. ie .RECTANG

Copy & Paste the text from your command line... mine looks like this:

Command: rectang

Specify first corner point or [Chamfer/Elevation/Fillet/Thickness/Width]:
Specify other corner point or [Area/Dimensions/Rotation]: 

Command: .RECTANG

Corner of rectangle or square:

Length:

Square/:

Rotation angle:

Command:

This is what comes up. Is there any way to correct the problem and get the original command?

That's odd, perhaps a missing or corrupt file? I had LT2000i but that was a long time ago. It's a long shot, but assuming LT2000 has profiles, perhaps try switching profiles, I'm not sure, but I think that may load a different MNL / MNR / MNS file, which may or may not shake things up?

He's not using LT2000. In his first post he said he's using Autocad 2008.

It looks like someone has redefined the rectangle command on that computer.

It looks like someone has redefined the rectangle command on that computer
how do you even do that? it's way more than changing alias in the pgp, right?

Yeah, I didn't even think you could change the "core" command that's called when you proceed the command with a period. ie .RECTANG

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how you would change the "core" command, but what the OP has shown is obviously not the standard command line sequence for the rectangle command.

Maybe he's using an add-on that has it's own rectangle command that overrides Autocad's' command?