Can Attribute Values Change Visibility States

The Question: Can Visibility States be changed by an Attribute Value instead of the drop down arrow?

The Situation: I am building an annotative block that the user wants to change appearance (ie different hatches inside a circle) based on an attribute value (1,2 or 3). The attribute is invisible and is one of +/-40 other attributes. I can change the appearance with visibility states and the little pull-down arrow on the block or the properties menu, but the user wants to be able to change it with attribute value. Is this even possible?

I don't know but it may be possible with a look up table. That is all the help I can give because I can only sometimes get the lookup table to do what I want.

Now we're getting fancy with look-up tables. While I, the drafter, find that kinda exciting, the user does not. He wants simple and familiar.

I don't think you can drive an action from an attribute - at least I haven't found a way to without reverting to programming. What you can do is add a look-up table and change that using the properties palette.

However, if you are doing this you might as well change the visibility state from the properties palette.

Of course, my statements are based on 2008, your newer version may be different.

lookup.JPG

I'm pretty thrilled with visibility states in general, so I think I will try to sell him on that. I will save the lookup tables for next time.