hatch turns solid when dwg opened in Autocad 2012

Hi all,

I have a little problem with autocad 2012. When I open a dwg in autocad 2012 some hatch turns solid, but same dwg is fine in autocad 2010 or previous versions. What is interesting if I am in autocad 2012 and i click on the hatch and change somehting on the properties and i click enter it turns normal to what it should be. So i click on the hatch again change back the whatever i changed previously and hit enter. I regen everything and its still fine. So basically i did nothing to it and its fixed. So this might be bug I am not sure. So after all this i save the dwg and exit. I re-open the dwg again in autocad 2012 the hatch is back to solid. What is very interesting in autocad 2011 everyhing is fine no hatch problems at all. Did anybody bump into this problem?

I attached two pdfs as to what it should looks like correct and what it looks like when i open it.

Thanks

solid hatch.pdf

correct hatch.pdf

Sounds like a graphics card problem. Check compatibility with AutoCAD 2012 and double check all your settings in 3DCONFIG

Sounds like a graphics card problem. Check compatibility with AutoCAD 2012 and double check all your settings in 3DCONFIG

I contacted Autodesk and they sent me a link back to update my video card. I did so but didnt help. Still same issue. Any idea what setting would cause this in 3dconfig?

Thanks for all your help.

What are your computer and graphics card specs?

Thanks for helping me SLW210.

I attached my computer and graphic card specs.

Please let me know if you see anything.

Thanks

video card spec.jpg

computer system.jpg

computer system properties.jpg

What are your computer and graphics card specs?

Hi SLW210,

looks like its not a computer or graphic card issue. I tried it out on an other computer in our office and same issue. So its something else. The hatch seem to react to linetype scale in properties. I also attache the autocad file maybe you can see something. If you open it in autocad 2011 its fine but not in autocad 2012.

Please let me know if you find anything.

Thanks

autocad 2012.dwg

Here are some of my observations opening the file in 2011:

Despite having the same properties in the property palette, the the hatches are displayed 3 different ways for me.

-The top two hatches (above the break line) are clearly more dense than the hatch below the break line (see screencap below)

-The bottom hatch isn't displayed "solid" in 2011, rather it's not displayed at all.

There are actually 5 "sand" hatches in the frame, not 4, with the 5th being very tiny and apparently blank/nil. I can't even select it with a crossing window but SelectSimilar and QuickSelect each find it.

The hatch scale of .0002 seems extraordinarily small (perhaps that's normal for a drawing done in meters with a dimfactor of 1000?) but if any of the misbehaving hatches is changed to a larger value through the properties palette, it can not be restored to .0002 unless that hatch is grouped with one of the non-misbehaving hatches and all their scales are reset at the same time.

My opinion is that the hatches are either corrupt, or they were created in different versions of AutoCAD and 2011 and 2011 is conflicted because something about the hatch definition is not stored the same way as it was in previous versions. IMO, just delete all 5 of them and re-create them in the same version.

hatch.jpg

Here are some of my observations opening the file in 2011:

Despite having the same properties in the property palette, the the hatches are displayed 3 different ways for me.

-The top two hatches (above the break line) are clearly more dense than the hatch below the break line (see screencap below)

-The bottom hatch isn't displayed "solid" in 2011, rather it's not displayed at all.

There are actually 5 "sand" hatches in the frame, not 4, with the 5th being very tiny and apparently blank/nil. I can't even select it with a crossing window but SelectSimilar and QuickSelect each find it.

The hatch scale of .0002 seems extraordinarily small (perhaps that's normal for a drawing done in meters with a dimfactor of 1000?) but if any of the misbehaving hatches is changed to a larger value through the properties palette, it can not be restored to .0002 unless that hatch is grouped with one of the non-misbehaving hatches and all their scales are reset at the same time.

My opinion is that the hatches are either corrupt, or they were created in different versions of AutoCAD and 2011 and 2011 is conflicted because something about the hatch definition is not stored the same way as it was in previous versions. IMO, just delete all 5 of them and re-create them in the same version.

[ATTACH]28065[/ATTACH]

Thank you Nestly for your detailed description and help.

I wish there would be an easy solution for this like a variable setting.

We have a big detail library here and recreating all the hatches with problems would take too long.

Did you try and see how it reacts for you in Autocad 2012?

Thanks again for your help.

Works fine on 2011 here. This looks like a bug in 2012 maybe. Hopefully someone with 2012 can look at it.

In 2010 it works fine. In 2012 the hatch does display solid. When altering a property it does fix the display issue althoguh after saving a copy and reopening it the hatch displayed solid again. I can't see anything causing it though or know of any solution here.

Thank you Nestly for your detailed description and help.

I wish there would be an easy solution for this like a variable setting.

We have a big detail library here and recreating all the hatches with problems would take too long.

Did you try and see how it reacts for you in Autocad 2012?

Thanks again for your help.

I don't have 2012 (well, I do, but I haven't installed it), but I can tell from 2011 that the hatches are not all the same. Autodesk keeps adding new features and controls for hatches, and I believe you've discovered a glitch in the way 2011 and 2010 interpret the hatch depending on how it was created, (or which version the hatch was created.)

If you're on Subscription, make a Support request and include a link to this topic. If you're not on Subscription, send a Feedback Report describing the problem and linking to this topic. (To send Feedback, click the "down-arrow" next to the Question Mark at the upper right of Autocad2012)

Autodesk just responded see solution below:

>I looked at your drawing and what you're running into is the HPMAXLINES limit for that dense sand hatch pattern.

>I bumped it up to 10,000,000 before loading the drawing and it loaded just fine.

>This is not a new sysvar but there were some bugs fixed in AutoCAD 2012 to make sure this setting was being honored in all cases.

>This sysvar is there to make sure the system doesn't attempt to generate so much hatch data that it would cause you to run out of memory and potentially crash.

Thank you to all who put time into solving this!

Autodesk just responded see solution below:

>I looked at your drawing and what you're running into is the HPMAXLINES limit for that dense sand hatch pattern.

>I bumped it up to 10,000,000 before loading the drawing and it loaded just fine.

>This is not a new sysvar but there were some bugs fixed in AutoCAD 2012 to make sure this setting was being honored in all cases.

>This sysvar is there to make sure the system doesn't attempt to generate so much hatch data that it would cause you to run out of memory and potentially crash.

Thank you to all who put time into solving this!

What was HPMAXLINES set by default? In 2011 default is 1,000,000. I do not understand why 2012 would need to be bumped.

What was HPMAXLINES set by default? In 2011 default is 1,000,000. I do not understand why 2012 would need to be bumped.

It was set to 1,000,000 by default. I set it to 10,000,000 and it works fine. I am not sure why this happens, there could be different variable but for now I am very happy with this solution.

Indeed, HPMAXLINES fixed the display for me in 2011, and it also solved the problem where the misbahaving hatches could not be scaled to the very dense pattern of .0002 independently. However, if 2011 and 2012 are 1,000,000 by default, does that mean that AutoCAD2010 has a higher default value? If not, then it would still be a display bug in the newer releases.

Either way, it's good you found a workable solution. :)

Edited by nestly

Thank you to all of you!

I still have a case at autodesk will post if I hear anything new or different.

The 5th is actually at the top, overlapped by the bigger one at the top.

I still have no problem in AutoCAD 2011 I do have update 2. I still say this is a bug in 2012.

I still say this is a bug in 2012.

The screenshot I posted is how it appears on both my 2011 machines. WinXP Pro (32bit) /4GB RAM /ATI FirePro V5800 and Win7 Pro (64bit) / 16GB RAM nVidia Quadro 4800, both have Update2.

Apparently, there's another variable beside HPMAXLINES that contributes to this anomaly

I can't count the number of times this has occurred.

• 7 months later...