ACA Roof w/ multiple construct levels / floors

Cad Monkey 2

I'm modeling an old existing Tudor style house for a client in ACA 2011 - it's going well BUT, I'm about to start on the roof...

I'm doing the three different levels of the house as different files ("constructs"), but most of the roof planes are really interacting with the upper two levels not just one level so that much of the upper most floor has sloping ceilings due to the roof and is in what would be attic space on most houses.

So what's the best way to work with a roof of this type? I need to be able to have the walls of TWO levels (constructs) interact with the roof so that I can adjust the tops of the walls (through "auto project" etc.) so they meet the roof, but don't stick up through the roof. Would it work to make the roof it's own file / construct?

Any good advice?

• 2 weeks later...

In a partial answer to my own question - I did do the roof as it's own file (construct) which worked well for the most part, but I had a lot of problems with getting the walls to auto project to the roof. This may have just been a matter of the complexity of the roof though and I'm not sure it would have worked any better if the roof was part of the same file. I had to do a lot of adding vertexes to the tops of the walls and then doing "edit in place" for the walls which I typically did by eye instead of exact measurements, but the model looks right and any construction documents in 2D will still be right.

Doing spanning roofs like that are a pain in the rear lol. Sounds like you got what you needed. If you edit the xref in place while in your roof file, you can project the roof just fine. If you need to, you can copy and paste to original location in the file with the walls you need to project, and delete the roof after your done. I have had to create mass elements and attach them to walls sometimes to get it to work.

Yeah, I kept thinking that I should copy the roof file into the other files to project the walls, but I ended up just doing (a somewhat inexact) edit in place on the walls whenever it didn't work, which was most of the time. I know as time goes on I'll get better at the edit in place thing. Adding the vertexes is a bit confusing sometimes - I'm never sure which side of the wall it is starting the measurement from at first. It looks like if it is done carefully by measuring the plan and calculating the roof height/slope then the wall might be able to be done exactly.

I hadn't even thought about adding mass elements to the walls to make it work...

Thanks for the input. I've seen your models and renderings on the images of the day and they look great.

Thanks :) the roof slabs are probably one of the most pain in the rear objects in the program, just behind curtain walls lol