how do i load xrefs so they DONT automatically update

BITDRAUGHTY

This may be a stupid question but how do i load my xrefs so that they dont automatically update??I thought that if i loaded them as overlays that they would have to be reloaded in order for the changes to take effect.?

For some reason this no longer works?

I used to be able to keep the drawings current and manually have to update the xrefs each time i changed a drawing.If i bind them i will not be able to edit them again and have to create an excessive archive.

Thanks though

Sorry you have confused me a little... you want to load x'refs so they don't automatically update. Im not sure what your trying to do.

:cry:

I need to be able to change an xref .Then go to the sources and relaod the xrefs manually.

This is so that the amendements can be added to each drawing as the drawings are updated and drawings dont get issued with notes not applied.

As has happend today someone has issued a drawing that had automatically updated many changes but no reference was noted in the revisions column.Hence a very confused engineer.

Overlay is used when you want your xref to show up only in its host drawing. Ex: xref as overlay dwg A into dwg B you will see dwg A. Now xref dwg B, with dwg A still overlayed, into dwg C you will not see dwg A. It doesn't come along for the ride, it stays at home.

Not sure how to disable automatic updating of modified xrefs though.

I think I would hunt down the person who updated the xref without notifying anyone and give him a good talking to. :wink:

Yes thank you i was aware of the overlay not appearing in other drawings....i just cant remeber how i used to do it so they didnt automatically update oh well .

As for the culprit i dont think he will do it again we have strict office dicipline here and if you do any thing wrong you have your fingers slammed in the door........... o:)

• 8 years later...

a. Insert the xrefs as blocks. Update them manually by reinserting and redefining.

Or

b. Bind the xrefs without exploding. Update them manually by reinserting and redefining.

Or

c. Don't use xrefs

a. Insert the xrefs as blocks. Update them manually by reinserting and redefining.

Or

b. Bind the xrefs without exploding. Update them manually by reinserting and redefining.

Or

c. Don't use xrefs

Please note you just responded to an 8 year old thread. Taking the time to check the thread's last posting date would be appreciated so that archived threads don't get unnecessarily reactivated.