Data Extraction for cutlist based on dynamic blocks

primalscr33m

I am having trouble figuring out how to get this to work.

I design all of the architectural metal used on most project homes being built in Sydney at the moment.

I draw up balustrade and screening etc.

Basically what I have is a huge collection of complex dynamic blocks that I insert into my drawings, I then change all the variables to suit.

These drawings are then dimensioned, and a parts list manually written out based on the lengths etc of each type of material.

All of these drawings are exact reproductions of what is produced on the factory floor, so it is quite easy to identify the parts, but rather painfull to manually write out a cutting list.

I'd like to add attributes and/or fields for material type and length to each of these dynamic blocks, which update as the blocks are manipulated to the required sizes.

where I get stuck is that there are multiple drawing methods used to create these blocks, and I cannot seem to figure out exactly what I should be naming, and assigning length fields too, or even how to extract or what to extract!

When I extract the data, I get a mess of conflicting and confusing information that is impossible to sort correctly, as I can use the dynamic parameter field for some, but not others, and on others it is a simple line, but on others again they are polylines and the length is useless to me.

I have tried to creat a block with an attribute for each and every individual part, but when I combine these into a complex part and try to assign dynamic parameters as a single dynamic block, the previously blocked and named parts wont behave correctly.

Im not sure if im making much sense here, but in my mind it all seems simple enough, I just cant get it to actually work with my exsiting blocks...

All im really after is a simple BOM, for example, I have a dynamic block with the Style code A0-1, when this is inserted I change 3 different lengths depending on the job. This style code is made up of several components such as a 40 mm square post (coded 40SQ), an 80 sq baseplate (coded PF2) and a 50 x 25 mm handrail (coded HR5025).

I need to extract a length for the 40 sq post, a length for the 50 X 25 handrail and an item count for the baseplate.

There may be 25 of these in a drawing, all at different sizes.

The dynamic block works perfectly for drafting, but not so well for data extraction.

There are over 1100 of these dynamic blocks, created over the last 2 years, and the only missing piece in the drafting puzzle is the extracted cut-list to save a large amount of time, and I just cant get it working.

Sorry for the confusing rant, Im just so frustrated with this that Im probably babbling!

Is there a methodology I need to learn here? will I need to re-create these blocks to allow for extraction?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn what I need to do to get this to work?

I have explained to my boss the theory behind all of this and he is keen for some working examples that the monkeys on the shop floor can read and understand, and Im stuck creating an extraction template that can work, even if just for proof of concept that I can refine over the next few months.

I know ACAD can do this, I know my brain has all the data, I'm just not getting the ACAD>BRAIN interface working here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think I am understanding what you may need is to pick an object from a slide, dialouge, images, name etc then have it assemble the object correctly using multiple dynamics blocks to appear on the plan correct. Basicly a parts combiner routine, base plate + upright tube + rail. Then a extract of the data would reflect the individual parts. For fabrication rather than one block. You could index the parts using a attribute in each block.

Part 32 is made up of block 33, 46 & 67

Part 34 is made up of block 33, 46 & 67 but has different dynamic sizes.

Some structural software I used did this it would ask for the common parts base plate, column, rafter but you answered what members to use what lengths angles etc this was all on one dialouge screen. Then splat done.

Start with say 3 items base upright rail. Pick base type and rules re offsets or centre, upright type - size and height, rail type -length

That is kinda correct, I already have the parts combined in dynamic blocks and really I'm trying to avoid breaking them back down into attributed singular blocks, as some of them are very complex and save our drafting department huge amounts of time.

I can write a parts list in about 20 mins, half an hour so whatever it is that I do, it needs to take into consideration that the original dynamic block makes it 75% faster to draft (eg, an 8 hour drawing now takes 2 hours) and the list only takes about 30 mins.

With the large amount of Dynamic blocks I have created, I'm trying to come up with a procedure to convert them into extractable data friendly entity's so to speak.

Here is an attached block, it has various parameters and visibility states. I need to extract a parts list for the 40 sq post length and cut angle, an item count for the base plate, with its code an item count for the glass clamps, with the code, an item count for the post reducer at the top and a height for the glass.

I have included the dynamic block in its various states of use for reference,

In the first view port are some annotations describing the parts breakdown, and dynamic use.

Any idea's guys?

edit- I combine several of these type of blocks as an elevation and add the top and bottom edge of the glass, and the handrails in manually.

If it helps I can attach a finished shop drawing for a better idea of what I am using as a basis for extraction.

SG1-1R DBLOCK.dwg

Edited by primalscr33m
additional information

I had a look at your drawing exploded block once so I had 9 individual elements blocks and lines from this get a parts list.

I think your front end is the problem do you have one ? not the actual blocks you need to write some dialouge screens these would contain lists of parts and ask relevant questions same as your doing now for dynamic blocks. If took the sidchrome 130 piece set and attacked your car you would find 10,000 bits. But a computer design would group indivdual objects. Think of a tree and branches.

Check out the user input screens for struc-plus a local AUS product that speeds up structural drafting it uses very good user input screens then splat done. check out www.struc-plus.com

No front end, all Vanilla ACAD. I've heard about struc-plus, but we draft so many different things here, I need the freedom of straight AutoCAD, and i'm not at all keen on recreating the whole shebang from scratch on a new platform.. 2 years work so far. I will do more research though, its been a good few years since I looked at Struc-plus.

We are primarily a Staircase company and we use a product called Stairbiz that does exactly as you have described, but is so far unsuitable for metal design. The timber guys use this as their front end, and the boss would love If I could work up a similar thing, but using AutoCAD as the base, as it provides infinite freedom in drafting and configuration. The financial controller here is also interested in excel compatibility, hence the data extraction angle I'm investigating.

I understand the parts analogies, where I am coming unstuck is autocads interpretation of my existing drawings, and using the data it extracts in a meaningful way. I have no real problem with the item counts part of it, as that is all just attributes etc, its the dynamically changing elements, and filtering exactly what I need from the extraction without customising every single table or each type of block for each type of extraction.

I'm still researching this, so open to any suggestion, and thanks so far BIGAL, looking into Struc-plus at the momen