problem spring with solidworks

jverre

Hey,

I'm having some difficulty using the motion analysis tool on Solidworks 2010. I have made an assembly which requires two springs on either side of a pendulum. However I can't seem to be able to make my design work, all my parameters have to be set at 0 so that my pendulum can move. Can anyone help??

thanks very much =)photo1.pdf

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shift1313

• jverre

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can you manually move your pendulum? Im not sure what your dimensions are in reference to but it may be that your assembly is fixed.

can you manually move your pendulum? Im not sure what your dimensions are in reference to but it may be that your assembly is fixed.

yes it works great, the problem is when i add springs using silodworks motion, i have to set k=0 (F=kx) for it to do a simulation otherwise, the middle piece just disappears and there is nothing i can do =(

[ATTACH]28121[/ATTACH

]forum.doc

photo1.pdf

When you start a motion study which one are you in? Animation, basic motion or advanced motion. To properly simulate springs and gravity you will need to be in the advanced motion setting. What are you doing for initial forces to get this thing going?

When you start a motion study which one are you in? Animation, basic motion or advanced motion. To properly simulate springs and gravity you will need to be in the advanced motion setting. What are you doing for initial forces to get this thing going?

I'm in basic motion (i don't have access to the advanced motion settings since i only have the student edition). I use gravity to get it going and it works quite well =) here is the system itself if it helps =)

mesure de la verticale 20.zip

As as student your version will have everything in it. You will need to go to Tools>add-ins and make sure you have Solidworks Motion checked. That should allow you to use advanced motion(or Motion Analysis, i cant remember the exact term). I think basic motion will still allow you to use springs. It has trouble when accounting for friction and things like that.

Your zip folder only has the assembly file. Assembly files are only references. When you are in your assembly go to File> Pack and Go and you can save the entire assembly and its parts to a zip folder to upload.

The file is to large to be uploaded here =( However i can send it to you by mail if you are interested. Thanks very much for the help by the way=)

SolidWorksSurfacer at Gmail

If you can email it to me in the next hour i should be able to play with it right away. and no problem

There is an issue when going from an educational file to a non that wont allow me to open your motion study. Something about the way they are setup i guess. BUT i started a new motion study with your components and added springs and everything worked fine for me. It works in a basic study. I started with two springs with equal K values. Then for the 0sec location i rotated the pendulum 45 degrees(manually) and calculated the study. I took a screen shot of the initial position. Only two components and two springs. Also the only mates i have are a concentric mate and a coincident mate so the pendulum can swing.

Can you tell me or show me what you added to your motion study and expand your mates in your assembly feature tree.

Pendulum.jpg

You seem to have merged three components together how can you do that ??

Here is the screenshot

photo1.pdf.docx

I don't know if you can see it in the screenshot but there is a problem when the simulation begins, the pendulum just goes all over the place and then just stops moving, however if i set k=0 with the springs it moves just fine =(

in my screen shot you can see when i have both springs selected in the motion study tree they display on the screen. On yours you have one selected but it is not displayed. Also take a look at my timeline. The pendulum component has a yellow bar next to it for the entire duration because it is moving while yours does not. I would try setting it up with only the two components like I did. Your box and the Poids component. Your box has a round boss in it so you can apply relations between it and the axis which your pendulum rotates without needing any other components. Also with your springs be careful what you are selecting to attach them to. I selected points. Unfortunately you are using SW2010 so i cant send you any files back. If i get any free time this weekend i will try to walk you through it better but i just dont have the time at the moment.

okay, i'll have a closer look at your screenshot and i'll try to fix it. Thanks very much for all your help =)

Just one last little question, in your screen shot, there is a little component or something just underneath gravity what is it?? It may be why my simulation isn't working =)

okay, i'll have a closer look at your screenshot and i'll try to fix it. Thanks very much for all your help =)

Just one last little question, in your screen shot, there is a little component or something just underneath gravity what is it?? It may be why my simulation isn't working =)

That was a force I had on there originally but turned off. I was trying to apply a force initially then turn it off part way through the animation but that wouldnt work on basic motion. I should have just deleted it :)

Sorry to bother you again but I have been going over what you told me and it still won't work. The pendulum moves when i do a simulation with k=0 for the two springs but i soon as i change the value, the pendulum just disappears for the screen all together when the simulation starts. There is one thing that i might not be doing right, when i set the parameters for my spring, I only use the first box and I don't set any Load-bearing Faces, could that be the problem??

Does your pendulum have a coincident relation with the parts in your box? mean i know it can rotate but is anything actually fixing it from being pulled away?

For your spring you need to give it two points to locate it on your parts. What is the type of spring you are using?

yep i have a coincident relation with the exterieur. I'm using a linear spring between 2 points, could you send me a photo of the tree besides the simulation box so i can have a closer look at your parameters??

If it doesn't work then i'm just going to find a different of doing this kind of simulation =)

Unfortunately I didnt save the file :( When i get a chance in a little while today I will Redo it and post the screen shot for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for your help =) I wasn't able to find out what was wrong so I moved on to meca3d and it's a lot easier to use and i was able to reuse what i had already done =)

I was just thinking about this problem this morning and as much as I tried i couldnt replicate the issue you were having so im not really sure what to tell you wasnt working. No matter where I open your file your simulations doesnt open for me(and it wont let me start a simulation in your assembly file).

no worries =) It works now so thats great =) I don't know if you know meca3d at all because i have just a small question, how do you create the graph that is needed to configure the "variable motor" if you see what i mean ??=)

Thanks for the help on the other thing anyway =)