Offset Plane Will Not Offset Correctly

Bill Tillman

I guess it's my night to b**** about Inventor. I am having difficulties with getting a plane to offset properly. I choose Offset from Plane and then select the plane I want to offset. And of course the darn direction arrow shows me that it want to offset towards the top of my drawing. I need to offset the other direction so I grab the arrow and pull it down to the direction I want. The little text box shows me how far the offset is going to be so I type in the correct dimension because it's too hard to see those little numbers from out here and besides it's supposed to work that way. But when I confirm this the plane offsets on the other side where I didn't want it to go in the first place. I have been able to drag the arrow in the direction I want it to go and squint to see when I get the correct offset to the 1/16th but this is a real pain. Is there some setting in options for this?

You need a negative number to offset the other direction...

Hey that's a good idea...I'm glad I thought of it. Thanks. One more deadly problem resolved. Makes you wonder why they put an arrow in there which the user can toggle and then moves the plane in that direction and it's not until you press Enter to confirm that you find out you need a negative number. Regardless it works and I thank you for your reply. I'm gonna get this Inventor thing if it kills me...and it probably will.