Can't edit unlocked layers. How to change default viewport scale list.

xr309

I just started using 2012. Two problems:

1- Somehow, in my current drawing, everything is layer-locked. There are no Xrefs in this very basic drawing. All layers are unlocked. Yet, any attempt to select any entities results in "x objects were on a locked layer". Again, all layers are unlocked. No Xrefs. No blocks. Just simple lines. All entities appear faded. This happened after viewing a layout in both paper and model spaces. Reviewing the text window shows no strange accidental commands.

2- There is a default set of viewport scales in the status bar at the bottom right. Default scales are all metric. I would like both metric and imperial. I see you can edit which exact scales are in a metric list, and which are in an imperial list. But how do you set what is displayed/available in the status bar button?

Layers were indeed isolated. Thanks. I knew it would be something simple. Just not up to speed with 2012 yet.

And now the other problem remains:

2- There is a default set of viewport scales in the status bar at the bottom right. Default scales are all metric/eng. I would like both metric/eng and imperial/arch. I see you can edit which exact scales are in a metric list, and which are in an imperial list. But how do you set what is displayed/available in the status bar button?

_SCALELISTEDIT works in 2011.

Well, I got that far. But that way, you have to manually enter every single scale from scratch. Surely there is a way to add the scales that are already defined.

Has anyone else figured this out?

Do it once, and add it to your default template.

How many are there if you open up a new drawing? I don't remember populating the Scale List ever. So I assume there were many in the Autocad package.

• 2 weeks later...
Do it once, and add it to your default template.

How many are there if you open up a new drawing? I don't remember populating the Scale List ever. So I assume there were many in the Autocad package.

Just the metric/eng ones. About 17.

I'm guessing I'll have to do as you said, but I try to be optimistic and am always looking for one click solutions vs multiple actions. Particularly when dealing with advanced software. Maybe someone has the magic wand?

Wait a tic... you're saying that your Edit Drawing Scales (Scalelistedit) doesn't match the Annotation Scale button??

Wait a tic... you're saying that your Edit Drawing Scales (Scalelistedit) doesn't match the Annotation Scale button??

Oh, it matches. But if you go Options/User Preferences/Default Scale List, you will find metric and imperial listed separately. I would like to have both available at all times. I'm in Canada and switch back and forth constantly and can even sometimes have layouts with both.

I'm a command line guy. Command Alias Edit SCL= Scalelistedit.... lists all together. Have you tried Scalelistedit?

Also note that if you highlight the whole list and hit the Delete button, it only deletes the scales not being used.

Too bad AutoCAD limits one's choice to either metric or imperial. A user-defined scale list "label" could come in handy for those who have to straddle the two. In any event, you can still edit the scale list to include what you want (or don't want) and just ignore what it is called. So what if your "metric" scale list includes imperial scales as well or vice-versa? Who cares?

I'm a command line guy. Command Alias Edit SCL= Scalelistedit.... lists all together. Have you tried Scalelistedit?

Also note that if you highlight the whole list and hit the Delete button, it only deletes the scales not being used.

Me too. PGP all the way.

Scalelistedit only brings up what I mentioned above.

Anyways, looks like I just have to take the time *sigh*, hopefully one time, up front.

Thanks all.

• 7 months later...

Finally figured it out a little while ago:

Click Reset - A window pops up offering Imperial, Metric or Both.

Somewhat hidden, but it's there.