Massive Polylines and AutoCAD freezing

SunnyTurtle

The slow picking seems to be a little more specific than just having the Properties palette open. It appears to be the "Area" property because I can pick it instantly if the Geometry panel in the properties palette is minimized.... ditto for Quick Properties. If I exclude "Area" from QP, I can pick it pretty much instantly.

I tried it with 2012Mech and it makes no difference with Geometry expanded or not, still less than 3 seconds to pick that one polyline. Maybe it was fixed between versions.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLW210

• nestly

• rkent

• SunnyTurtle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everything is instant here except with geometry expanded. With the line selected, I opened properties and expanded geometry, I am getting +3 minutes.

Seems like it is definitely a 2011 AutoCAD issue. I think I will post on Autodesk and AUGI and see if I get a response.

Nestly, you mind if I borrow your drawing?

Nestly, you mind if I borrow your drawing?

Actually, it's not my drawing... I "borrowed" it from an Autodesk forum thread to post here. Link

I don't believe its the sheer volume of vertices either, I think it may have something to do with the way the polyline is constructed.... like when it doubles back on itself, or has vertices on top of vertices that causes AutoCAD to struggle with the area calculation.

Actually, it's not my drawing... I "borrowed" it from an Autodesk forum thread to post here. Link

I don't believe its the sheer volume of vertices either, I think it may have something to do with the way the polyline is constructed.... like when it doubles back on itself, or has vertices on top of vertices that causes AutoCAD to struggle with the area calculation.

My initial problem was spot elevations (points from Civil/Map/LDD) apparently anything from these programs are not easily manipulated by AutoCAD 2011.

Good news is, the Quadro 600 has greatly improved my working in large files with underlays, images and xrefs.

SLW210, Do you have the C3D Object enablers installed for your AutoCAD2011?. I do, but I wonder if they would be Proxy Objects instead of polylines (or spot elevations) without the Object Enabler. If so, then maybe it's not AutoCAD per se, rather a bug in the C3D Enabler for AutoCAD2011.

SLW210, Do you have the C3D Object enablers installed for your AutoCAD2011?. I do, but I wonder if they would be Proxy Objects instead of polylines (or spot elevations) without the Object Enabler. If so, then maybe it's not AutoCAD per se, rather a bug in the C3D Enabler for AutoCAD2011.

I have all updates, I was thinking this morning about that and actually wondered if it could be the service packs. But it looks like this problem on Autodesk precedes the service packs.

The files I am using are pretty old and have been AutoCAD files for quite some time. I don't know if that has any bearing on this either.

I was talking about the C3D Object enabler for AutoCAD that allows AutoCAD to edit Aeec objects created in C3D rather than simply displaying them as proxy objects.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15131158&linkID=9240618

[ATTACH]28324[/ATTACH]

I know what you are referring. I have all of the OE's and updates, service packs etc. I check for new updates every Monday.

I loaded said file up in AutoCAD 2000i and no problems. I really do not care anymore. This is a problem for Autodesk to address, they need to resolve it.

• 2 years later...

This is an old thread, but the problem is still there in AutoCAD 2011. It is definitely related to the Properties Palette and the Geometry. Roll over tool tips has no effect, on or off.

Wow this thread is old I remember posting this ages ago.

The only way I found around the problem was close the properties pallet.

and if you need properties use quick properties without the area and length showing because this is what takes the long time.

I found that in 2012 the problem was a little bit more bearable but in 2014 it seems to have disappeared completely (I have not tested this fully yet).

I now avoid having the properties pallet open unless I need it.

I type "MO" to pull up the properties when I need. but for things I need all the time I used quick properties (but set them as static because you don't want them appearing over the object you wish to look at.)