Massive Polylines and AutoCAD freezing

SunnyTurtle

Hi I have some massive ployline in my dwg (4000-17000 lines) and everytime i go to click on them my AutoCAD Freezes

i was wondering if this is just becasue my computer is being slow or is there a solution to fixing this becasue it is becoming really annoying:x

But any way im sure there is a solution to this in the autocad setting maybe.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLW210

• nestly

• rkent

• SunnyTurtle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/2011-Polylines/td-p/2736877

This forum Explains the problem but acording to this there is no solution.

Does anyone have a solutiion or even a work around

Has this problem being fixed in 2012

Any workarounds

P.S.

Hey Just turn Properties tab off and they load 100 times faster. Still slow though but workable

Edited by SunnyTurtle
Grammer

I've tried to help with this problem before, and it just appears that polylines with thousands and thousands of vertices require a lot of resources when you select them because AutoCAD has to read all the information that defines the pline. For now, I think the only thing short of reducing the number of vertices is to make sure the Properties palette is closed and Quick Properties turned off, otherwise AutoCAD will attempt to calculate the area, in which case, you either need to Esc out of the selection, or find something else to do for a few minutes.

Properties palette is closed and Quick Properties turned off
I have closes the properties palette but for me having the quick properties pallet open makes no difference As long as you do not add lenght to that pallet
What are your system specs?
I have updated my computer details to my work computer click below my name to see. This only happens on my work computer my home computer is a lot more power full and has no problem with the lines i give it.

Is this some sort of civil drawing?

What else is in the drawing you are having trouble with? I had a similar drawing and deleting all of the points solved my problem (I no longer needed them anyway). I used qselect and went through deleting everything one by one and points made a HUGE difference, no more cursor freezing/hanging and no more crashes/freezes. I still have all of the long plines.

My boss said he will also be getting me a new graphics card and some more RAM. It can't hurt.

In most cases I would say these very large polylines are from C3D and Map.

Here's an example. The drawing contains only one object; a polyline.

With the Properties palette open, it takes 79 seconds from the time I select the polyline until AutoCAD finishes calculating. See if you can beat my time.

1.dwg

• 2 weeks later...

With the Properties palette open, it takes 79 seconds from the time I select the polyline until AutoCAD finishes calculating. See if you can beat my time.

Just as I had mentioned to my boss, I was pretty sure at some point the drawing was worked on/created in Civil or some other vertical.

My time was exactly 120 seconds.

Less than 3 seconds here.

I had to convert it to a earlier version, but then all 5724 grips light up in less than one second.

Perhaps this is am "improvement" by the powers that be. :shock:

With Properties open, it took 56 seconds.

With Properties closed, about 1.5 seconds.

Using Civil 3D 2011.

i don't understand - no problems here at all. everything is immediate, and i cannot believe i have a high spec machine.

Properties Palette open and expanded, QuickPik on,

How about with QuickPik off?

Properties open or closed exactly 2 minutes here.

How about with QuickPik off?

Properties open or closed exactly 2 minutes here.

No difference with QP open or closed, properties expanded, less than 3 seconds.

Same time with properties completely closed.

So, I presume this is a 2011 problem, since those are the slow times.

P.S.

I have saved as a 2000.dwg and no difference on 2011. I am going to send the 2000 file home and check it on my 2000i, win XP pro 1/2G ram and no graphics card laptop.

P.S. P.S.

My boss said my new Nvidia card is on order, I will recheck this dwg when it gets here.

So, I presume this is a 2011 problem, since those are the slow times.

Using vanilla 2012, it takes roughly the same time (±1.5 seconds) both with Properties closed, and with Properties open. Something is obviously different but my tests were between C3D2011 and vanilla AutoCAD. I would need vanilla 2011 and/or C3D 2012 to further test.

selectbigpoly.gif

The slow picking seems to be a little more specific than just having the Properties palette open. It appears to be the "Area" property because I can pick it instantly if the Geometry panel in the properties palette is minimized.... ditto for Quick Properties. If I exclude "Area" from QP, I can pick it pretty much instantly.

The slow picking seems to be a little more specific than just having the Properties palette open. It appears to be the "Area" property because I can pick it instantly if the Geometry panel in the properties palette is minimized.... ditto for Quick Properties. If I exclude "Area" from QP, I can pick it pretty much instantly.

You are correct, I have instant select with properties closed or properties open and geometry closed. Still 2 minutes with properties open with Geometry open. (I previously did not completely shut down properties on that test). Kinda seems like the old problem with properties and dimensions if you had Lines and Arrows open. :x

P.S.

Just got the Nvidia Quadro 600 installed. :D