3 Points Perspective Drawing Using AutoCAD?

huygen

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SEANT

• huygen

• lamensterms

• qball

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lots of masters on here. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

That's great! I would like to ask for a help.

Please create a 3-points perspective drawing in AutoCAD of mine.

The 3D plot will looks like the image I've attached in this reply.

Grouded.PNG

3-points perspective.dwg

Doing things along what you call a 3 Point Perspective, and by that I assume you're meaning X-Y-Z coordinate system or line of sight + horizon line + vanishing points...everyone has their own way of doing 3D sketches.

As for this shape, I would simply layout the face view of it, PEDIT the lines and arcs to form a polyline, then EXTRUDE it to the thickness you want. That's one of the nice things about 3D drawing in AutoCAD, the complicated stuff can be left for the software to figure out for you. And like I said, there are many different ways to make this 3D shape. Your method may differ from mine but we'll end up with the same thing in the end.

You've already got the base shape done, so as Bill said, PEDIT > Join the arcs together, Extrude. Then use viewports in Layout Tab and the View Cube to create the perspectives you want.

Here is a perspective drawing using the vanishing point method.

The arcs are simulated by degree 2 splines. Spline/Arc equivalency is achieved by setting the weight of the spline's center vertex to Cos(Included Angle/2).

The other useful property of splines is that this type of transformation is automatically created with the corresponding transformation of the vertices.

Perspective via VanPt.dwg

Edited by SEANT

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a perspective drawing using the vanishing point method.

The arcs are simulated by degree 2 splines. Spline/Arc equivalency is achieved by setting the weight of the spline's center vertex to Sin(Included Angle/2).

The other useful property of splines is that this type of transformation is automatically created with the corresponding transformation of the vertices.

Hi Seant,

Please guide me step-bystep on how to create my drawing in 3-point perspective drawing such as yours.

Thank you

Huygen

This may have to be a multi part demonstration.

The advantage to using spline based arcs within a standard 2d drawn => 3d representation drawing is that much of the early work can use rectangles. Rectangles are fairly easy to manipulate with the standard Perspective drawing techniques.

Once the Rectangles are set they can act as the SplineFrame for a degree 2 spline. The same weighting that would be applied to represent an Orthogonal spline/circular arc can be set to this modified spline frame.

This process has 100% fidelity with Isometric views (see in attached). Perfect fidelity with the Perspective view would also have to transform the weighting very slightly. Given that the perspective view is generally just for visuals, that modification can be ignored.

PerspectDemo.dwg

• 4 weeks later...

If you use PRESSPULL, you may not even need to join the lines together. It should recognize the boundary and extrude the shape you want.

Can you explain me why the value should be 0.7071?

Is there any mathematical explanation on this?

Is it about, for example, Bezier curve, etc.?

Where I can find the mathematical theory and exercises by reading book?

What book is it (title, author, publisher, etc.)?

If you use PRESSPULL, you may not even need to join the lines together. It should recognize the boundary and extrude the shape you want.

A perspective via 3D would certainly be the conventional approach; this exercise, though, is more about exploring the geometries involved with the traditional 2D Perspective.

Can you explain me why the value should be 0.7071?

Is there any mathematical explanation on this?

Is it about, for example, Bezier curve, etc.?

Where I can find the mathematical theory and exercises by reading book?

What book is it (title, author, publisher, etc.)?

The math that forms the basis of Splines (NURB curves)forces that condition. A Weight of Cos(IncludedAngle/2). See how the weights differ in the attached drawing.

Bezier Curves are a subset of NURB Curves. Beziers (and the underlying math structure) do not allow for weights other than 1.

A very good resource for these types of curves can be found here:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/COURSES/cs3621/NOTES/

ThreeSplineCircs.dwg

Edited by SEANT

SEANT, can you please tell me the good geometry book, not the basic one, to learn about, I don't even know, roughly say, for example, the control point of the circle, for use in the drawing/draughting and CAD purpose?

SEANT, can you please tell me which page from above three books so that I can obtain some informations on how to construct an ellipse inscribed in quadrilateral, in 3-point perspective drawing?

This question was addressed via PM.

huygen, have you had a chance to do the practice file in post #11

This question was addressed via PM.

huygen, have you had a chance to do the practice file in post #11

SEANT, yes I had already doing the practice you sent me few days ago.

The one that is pretty easy to me is to construct the circle-to-ellipse in isometric projection.

However, the one that I feel it's so difficult to me is to construct the ellipse-to-ellipse in isometric projection.