Convert/PDF Problem

Randyman

Hi folks, I'm using a CAD program called DraftSite and it is free. Anyway, when I try to use the Convert/PDF button the drawing ends up being smaller than what I want when I open the PDF file.

For instance I drew a line 36" long and used the Convert/PDF function and when I opened it up it was 32" long. What am I doing wrong?

Should it not show the same size in the PDF format?

Thank you in advance,

Randy

I'm not familiar with DraftSite, so I may not understand your situation.

If the scale is preserved, of course the objects should be the same size. I assume that you're printing the PDF you get. The scale could get changed in two places: when it's converted and when it's printed. Check the settings for the conversion "button" (in AutoCAD it's treated as a plotter) and for the plotter. Printing PDFs can be tricky.

Correction: I have DraftSight, but my trial period has expired. For some reason this free software won't start.

Edited by CyberAngel

Correction: I have DraftSight, but my trial period has expired. For some reason this free software won't start.

I had that problem too and just re-installed the new version and it works fine now.

Thank you for your reply. So it seems that I was not using the right printer settings. Once I selected the Microsoft XPS Document writer it worked great and gave me a perfect scale image in Adobe.

I don't have a plotter so I could not select the proper sheet size. I'm not sure if thats the problem but at least it is resolved.

Thanks again CyberAngel for your help.

I am self taught in CAD but would like a career in the field. I'm just not sure what avenue to take ot what courses.

A program like DraftSight is a good introduction to CAD, especially at that price.

I can't speak for others on this forum, but I haven't had a single formal class in AutoCAD. Everything I know I've had to learn from manuals, reference books, and pure boneheaded trial and error. I didn't set out to become a civil drafter, that was the type of job available the last time I changed careers.

A certificate might help. The local junior college should have classes. You might try an internship with an engineering or architectural firm. Of course there are books. You can get a 30-day trial of AutoCAD Lite... whoa, that sucker costs $1200?

Yes you can't beat the price. I do have access to AutoCad if I need it but he only has the 2002 version I believe. This will be a career change for me so I'm looking at the current situation here in BC to see what the demand is and for what area of expertize. I will call a couple companies and see what they can do for me. Now that I'm an old fart there are not many companies that are willing to help a guy out.

I'll check on classes also.

Thank you for all your help.

Randy