Label xy coordinates on the drawing

ali888

Hi,

I wonder if I can get some help here. I have about 800 objects on the drawing I got. What I'd like to do is to write a X,Y coordinates in text next to each of the objects in the drawing so that I know where they are in terms of x y coordinates. I wonder if there are any other ways of doing this rather than write some program to do it.

Thank you in advance

I don't think you can achieve it without programming. What do you mean by "next to each objects"? Next to the insertion points (for blocks)? You can specify the center of circles, the corners of rectangles, vertexes of polylines and so. But what points to choose from a 3D solid?

Thanks for your reply.

By next to the objects I mean the insertion point so that I know at what coordinates each of these objects are.

Thanks

It might help if you told us what software you will be doing this in. There are lisp routines that will do what you are asking about if you are working in full AutoCAD.

Unfortunately, the OP admitted, in another thread, that they were using LT. It is possibly why they were looking for a non-programmable solution.

Not sure what version LT you have, so don't know if the following would work.

Are all the blocks the same definition? If so you might be able to simply add one or two attributes to them. Open the block in BEdit, place the attributes using the AttDef command. In the default value right-click and select Insert Field (or click the button to the right). In the Field dialog, choose objects in the Field category, BlockPlaceHolder in the Field names, Position in the Block reference property. Then turn on/off XYZ at the bottom right to your desire. If you need to calculate some change to the values (e.g. multiply by a factor) only have one displayed and click the Additional Format button. If you need more complex stuff, use a Formula field name and right-click inside the Formula box to insert a nested Position field, then use normal Excel-like formulas. Remember, you can have more than one attribute, each of which can have more than one field inside (mi9xed with normal text or not) as you want.

Then BClose and save the block definition. Then run the AttSync command to update all the block references to match the new attributes. These attributes should now appear to be part of each block, though by default you should be able to drag them independent of the block's position.

If you have multiple block definitions, then you need to repeat the above for each definition.