transfer setting

calvinn1234

can i transfer all setting of autocad from one pc to another pc which also run autocad

i wish can keep all thing as before at my previous pc including all tool bar i position can i do that?

You can migrate many of your customizations/settings from computer to computer if you know how.

What settings are you talking about?

Make sure after copying profile if you give it a name that you change the properties of your desktop icon so it loads that profile automatically. /p "myprofile"

I created a new profile and workspace then exported it to a 'arg' file. I then imported the 'arg file on my other computer but there are no workspaces within the profile? My old computer is 32bit, XP with Autocad Architecture 2010 and my new machine is 64bit, Windows 7 with AutoCAD Architecture 2012. I assume the 'arg' files are still compatible?

Sure they're compatible, but workspaces aren't stored in the profile (.arg), they're stored in the CUI (CUIx)

Use the Migration tools from the Windows Start menu to transfer between different computers.

Migrate Custom Settings

The profile stores the drawing environment settings which are the settings found in the OPTIONS dialog box.

A Workspace contains the Ribbon (tabs and panels), toolbars, palettes, and keyboard shortcuts.

Sorry I probably didn't make my self clear. I am trying to go from 2010 to 2012 with the profile. I really regret getting a 64bit machine. It's a real pain in the arse and I don't really notice any performance improvement. Well that's my moan for the day out of the way. Thanks for your help.

AutoCAD actually runs faster on 32bit according to the tests I've seen. I think the only advantage to 64bit for AutoCAD is breaking the 4GB RAM limitation. My 4 year old 32bit XP home built machine works every bit as well as my new high end 64bit Win7 workstation.