"Hidden" line turns to "continuous" in layout view

jeck

Didn't find answer with search. So I have this problem, if I create a layout, all lines look like continuous lines in layout view. Why is that so? In model view everything looks as it should. Please help!

Try changing PSLTSCALE (paperspace linetype scale) to 1. The linetype scale should update when you REGEN the layout.

I've had this issue before also. Remedy... set ltscale of linework to "1", set msltscale to "1" & set psltscale to "1". Make sure to regen after.

There are a lot of variable that affect how linetypes are displayed, including the scale in your Modelspace scale list, LTSCALE, MSLTSCALE, PSLTSCALE, CANNOSCALE, CELTSCALE, and any linetype scale or viewport linetype overrides.

My guess is that the scale in the modelspace scalelist is something other than 1:1 then LTSCALE was changed to compensate for linetype generation in modelspace that's too dense. If that's the case, then you'd have to make PSLTSCALE the inverse of the modelspace scale to have the lines display the same, but if you're using layouts, then the modelspace scale (in the scalelist box) really should be 1:1 and all the other scale variable can be set to 1 as well.

I think the easiest way to diagnose the problem is to post a sample drawing.

Already mentioned but ...

FOR 2008 AND UP

MSLTSCALE = 1

LTSCALE = 0.5

PSLTSCALE = 1

CANNOSCALE = (DESIRED PLOT SCALE, set with anno scale drop down

lower right)

Already mentioned but ...

FOR 2008 AND UP

MSLTSCALE = 1

LTSCALE = 0.5

PSLTSCALE = 1

CANNOSCALE = (DESIRED PLOT SCALE, set with anno scale drop down

lower right)

+1 ... that's exactly how I have mine setup!

If you don't want to be bothered with what Current AnnoScale you have, then you need to play with the LTSCALE and have PSLTSCALE=0. But then you can't have 2 viewports on the same page in different scales, their dash-lengths would differ. Though in my opinion this is more difficult than simply setting your MS's CAnnoScale to something other than 1:1.

Try psltscale = 0

Tilemode = 1

Are you sure? Tilemode=1? The OP was complaining about linetypes not displaying correctly on layouts. Your answer to him is not to use layouts (i.e. Tilemode=1)?

Also in which case the PSLTSCALE has absolutely no effect - since it's only for PaperSpace (note the PS prefix). Tilemode=1 forces you into the Model tab, i.e. you're in ModelSpace - not even the model space of a viewport, but the Tiled model space. In your 2006 there's no MSLTSCALE and no CAnnoScale. So you'll need to constantly adjust your LTScale to suit whatever plot-scale you want the drawing to appear in. In older acad's it's not as simple - since there's no annotative scale. To use the automatic paperspace scaling (i.e. PSLTSCALE=1) then your LTSCALE needs to be set as if you're drawing at 1:1 scale and leave the viewport's zoomfactor to adjust the line dash lengths. An alternative way of getting round this is to have all your model space drawing work in a base drawing, which gets xreffed into a layout dwg - that way your base could have a preset LTSCALE (of say 12.0), while your layout would have LTSCALE=0.5 and PSLTSCALE=1.

Otherwise you have to turn off automatic paperspace ltscales (i.e. PSLTSCALE=0) for each Layout tab. Then set your LTSCALE for the entire drawing. As mentioned before, this means you can't have 2 separate VP's with differing scales on the same page. And even if you have 2 different scaled VP's on separate Layout tabs, you'd need to adjust LTSCALE whenever you change tabs between the 2. Yet, since the OP is on 2011 - that means he's got full use of MSLTScale and CAnnoScale - i.e. he's got a MUCH simpler method of getting round this problem.

• 3 years later...

If you are using VIEWBASE to create your views, make sure your linestyle in Properties is set to BYLAYER before you create your views. I spent hours trying to find out why my hidden lines weren't showing up in layout, even though they showed up just fine in another layout in the same drawing. I had changed the linestyle to continuous at some point...no hidden lines! You cannot change the linestyle of a view - you need to recreate the view. Makes you want to cry.