need laptop for Autocad Architecture

synergydesign

Hello,

I'm a lifelong Mac user new to Autocad and new to PC's. I am about to purchase a 14" laptop PC that will have to serve 2 functions.

1) Be used in a docking station, with full size monitor and keyboard, to run Autocad Architecture 2012, 2d work only. (75% duty)

2) Be used as my mobile laptop running standard business app's (Microsoft Office), web browsing and e-mail. (25% duty)

Since I have a high end Mac for everyday use I won't do any video, gaming, or 3D work on the new laptop. Given my application, my questions resolves primarily around the processor and video card.

• I understand the onboard video of the new Sandy Bridge i5 core and i7 core processors is pretty decent. Will a discreet video card help my AutoCad Architecture 2012 performance (or in fact be required) when docked to a 24" or 27" monitor?

• Since I will only be working in 2D, is there any reason to upgrade to and i7 (quad core) over an i5 (duo)? I'm willing to spend the extra $ if it helps Autocad performance, but if Autocad Architecture is not taking advantage of the quad cores then perhaps I could use that same $ to improve performance elsewhere...such as faster drive, more memory or better video card, etc.

Any tips for a newbie would really be appreciate. Like everyone, I'm trying to maximize my hardware bang for the buck.

Thanks to all.

Edited by synergydesign

The i5 dual-core should be sufficient for your needs. I'd opt for a dedicated graphics card and not rely upon an integrated graphics chip but its up to you. I'd also recommend 4GB of RAM. This will be a Win7 64-bit system right?

Yes it will be Win7 64-bit. Is there any reason to consider windows Win7 Professional over Win7 Home Premium for this type of work?

AutoCAD is now available on Apple. Are any of the vertical products released for Apple yet? And a Core i5 is more than fine like Remark says. Even a Core i3 would work for 2D.

I tend to use either the Professional or Ultimate versions because I believe them to be more stable (re: the "kernel"). However, for your purposes, Home Premium would probably work just as well.

Any more thoughts on whether a discreet graphics card is needed or beneficial for running Autocad Architecture on laptop connected to a 24" monitor?

Dell is has a great deal on their Vostro 3450, but the package deal doesn't allow me the option of adding a graphics card in the build. Are graphic cards a pain to add later in laptops?

Personally, I think a dedicated graphics card is a plus. Can't tell you how difficult they are to add in later. I've only swapped out memory on a laptop.